cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ABC's of RFCs

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello SAP experts,

Could you advise what workprocess resource is taken up when external application has does an RFC call to SAP, using background user to login?

Hope my understanding is correct:

1. RFC client (ext application) logs in using background user. This takes up 1 BTC workprocess.

2. Then, as SAP note says, 'RFC call is always processed by a dialog work process'. So, this means the BTC will be converted to a DIAlog to process data.

Not sure if my understanding is correct about RFC calls.

The confusion comes when CPIC is also in the picture whenever there is RFC. How are they related?

Could you enlighten me about the relationship between RFC, CPIC and the workprocesses that are occupied? Must workprocess be DIALOG and not BTC or either?

Secondly, I would like to understand how much resources does an RFC connection take up? Under what resource problems situation will RFC calls be unable to connect to SAP? Or caused by time-out? Where to look for clues when investigating? dev_rfc or dev_rd? Seems that dev_rfc is quite little info compared to dev_rd. What gives?

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Pascal Gabin

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I really recommend reading this:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/22/0427c0488911d189490000e829fbbd/frameset.htm

You find a good picture in section --> 'Configuring System Resources for Parallel RFC, tRFC, and qRFC' --> 'RFC Resources on the Application Server'

Hope this helped

Juergen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Jürgen,

I've duely awarded points.

Can I confirm that after an RFC connection, a background user will only be occupying a BTC workprocess and no Dialog is used in the processing?

Regards,

Pascal Gabin

Former Member
0 Kudos

For the connection (the call) itself, always a dialog workprocess will be used. But you may consider some related techniques (if possible) like

- call a RFC function which plans a report as a batch job which will do the processing

- call a RFC function which calls another function 'IN ... TASK'

- use an 'asynchronous' method like IDOC-processing

Regards

Juergen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Jurgen,

That's very good info you've provided. Just to confirm, if the SAP user for RFC call is a background user, does that mean after using the Dialog call, a BTC work process will be used for the login to SAP? What then happens to the Dialog?

Thanks.

Regards,

Pascal Gabin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Pascal,

no the usertype of the SAP user is not related to the type of the work process in which the RFC is executed.

Regards

Juergen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Jürgen,

So, can I say RFC calls Always will require Dialog workprocess to login? And when calling BAPI, the BAPI can process in batch or dialog processing whereby the respective workprocess will be occupied?

Pls help me little more to clarify. Thank you.

I've provided points for your useful info.

Best Regards,

Pascal Gabin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Pascal,

yes indeed the RFC always requires a dialog workporcess.

Also when calling a BAPI via RFC a dialog workprocess is used. If you want the taks be processed in a batch process the only way I guess, is to call a RFC function which plans a report as a batch job which will do the processing.

Regards

Juergen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Jürgen! for the clarification. That really helped.

Regards,

Pascal

Answers (0)