cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long text limited to 40 characters on print Workorder (IW38)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I have a problem with printing an order via transaction IW38. Hope some of you knows what to do!

When opening an order using IW38 and accessing the second tab, different operations are displayed. Clicking on the pencil gives access to an editor in which text can be added applicable to the operation. I entered text using the whole width of the page. The next step is that I want to print this workorder, this is also where the problem begin.

When I choose print, the text that I entered in the editor is limited to 40 characters on the print. Does someone knows how to change this so that the whole width of page is being used for the print?

Thanks!!

Grtz, Bas

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

This is probably due to print form characteristics. are you using the standard sap form?

Text fields, even when you see them displayed as a free text, are managed in database as a chain of fields with limitations.

If you see the function module READ_TEXT (SE37) you will understand that the text is a combination of ID, object, text name, and language, and that's the way is stored the header in the database, and then for each header, you will find in database as many lines as you need to keep in the database all information you have written.

So, if the printing form is selecting only the first line, or the first 40 characters of each line, you will have this problem.

Another thing that you may verify is that you are printing the text with a font that match your paper setting.

You may check this by going to the print spool, and preview your printing. If you change the setting to view raw, you will see all characters even when they don't fit the paper settings.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

juanluis_ramos
Explorer
0 Kudos

Be sure that update the short text in table AUFK-KTEXT