cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving oracle folder to different directory

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We have to <b>move the oracle folder</b>(which is containing mirror log files and sap data and sap arch folders)to some <b>other directory</b> because the current directory is almost full.

Anybody can tell me the complete <b>procedure</b> for this?

Thanks in advance,

<i>Raj</i>.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

easiest way is to just recreate the control file, even if you're on UNIX. It's straightforward and easy. as for the archivelogs directory just change the init.ora parameter. And don't forget about changing environment variables to match.

former_member441228
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Well, on Unix it's trivial. Just move the files and directories to their new location and create symbolic links in the original location that point to the new location. You need to use symbolic links as hard links can span across filesystems. That's it, no further change and no messing around with the oracle control files. Of

course, the instance needs to be shut down for this.

Example: if you want to relocate:

/oracle/BLA/oraarch

to

/plentyofspace/BLA

then you might want to use

cd /oracle/BLA

mv oraarch /plentyofspace/BLA

ln -s /plentyofspace/BLA/oraarch oraarch

That's it.

Btw, on most Unix system you can resize filesystems on the fly, given that more space is available on the same disk device. Some Unixes even have an intermediate layer that allows you to extend the 'logical' disk first with space from other disks and subsequently extend the filesystem.

helmut

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am using Windows server. I want to move the Oracle <b>data files</b>. Do we need to change the path(oracle path) anywhere in the system after moving it?

If you tell me the steps (<b>procedure</b>), it will be very useful.(If i want to move the folder from C:\ to F:\)

Thanks,

Rajkumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Rajkumar S

• Please make sure you have a full NT backup before attempting this. ****

Yes you need to let Oracle know that the files have moved for exampe (on windows):

if you want to MOVE

FROM

"F:\oracle\C11\origlogA\LOG_G11M1.DBF"

TO

"E:\Oracle\C11\origlogA\LOG_G11M1.DBF"

shut down oracle move the physical file on NT then do the following after the physical file is moved,

1. startup mount

2. ALTER DATABASE RENAME FILE

'F:\oracle\C11\origlogA\LOG_G11M1.DBF' TO

'E:\Oracle\C11\origlogA\LOG_G11M1.DBF';

3. ALTER DATABASE OPEN;

and that IT.

Kev Naidoo..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just move the whole /oracle directory somewhere else.

If you are using UNIX, make sure the mount point and structure stays the same (/oracle/SID). Unix might be more of a haslle, especially if you have different mount points for /oracle, /oracle/sapdata1-4, /oracle/oraarch, etc.

If using windows, same thing, but also change the drive leter of the new drive to make sure the drive letter is the same as before. (if it was for example f:\oracle before make sure it is still on f:\oracle afterwards)