cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import Actions

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Could anyone tell me how to handle the import actions ( Create , skip, update and replace ) when we

use import server?

For example, We use import action create when first import data .Later we have to use another

import action depends on business requirement.

My Question is how the import server knows which import action has to be used ?

Thanks,

Narendra.M

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Narendra,

Your Import Map remembers the actions. While saving the map, the actions will be saved as per the settings you selected.

So map the settings as per business requirement.

it might be possible that you have to create multiple maps (which I had to do)

If need more clarifications, pls feel free to post your requirement.

Hope this helps,

+ An

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Narendra,

Your question is very interesting. Actually as many people has answered and it is very right to say that the map will be based on your Business requirement.

You can approach it in the following way:

1.Generally, you will have to Load the Look-up tables first and then the Initial Data Load. These two can be done without the use of MDIS and you can modify them according to your need.

2. Once you are through with the Initial Load, the data which will be flowing in Every day, can be most general Way handled by MDIS with the foll config :

For Completely New records - Create ( It will create the new records in MDM)

For records which are exactly Same - Update all Map Fields ( As any update which will coming from your source system, should generally get reflected in MDM).

3) Please note that the Matching Field is very important and it would be better if you take a unique field as your Matching Field and you do not change it throughout. ( Forex, material ID, Vendor ID will not be duplicates etc.)

4). If you have to use some other option of the Default Import Action such as Update Null Feild etc., then you can open Import Manager Manually and do the mapping and import the Data. If it will be re-usable, then you can save it in a map and use it through different port through MDIS.

However, you will have to modify if your business requirement is different.

I hope it helps.

Thanks and Regards

Nitin jain

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Thanks for replies.

According to your replies i understood that import action need to be changed manually depend on

business requirement and it automatically saved map.Import server recoginizes corresponding

import action using map.

and when we do first load , we go for manual importing using import manager .Later when we do delta

loads, we go for import server.

Is it right? Correct me if i am wrong.

Cheers,

Narendra.M

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Narendra,

Absolutely Right and Clear

cheers!

+ An

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Narendra,

Create -> for the very first import u need to "create" an import because there is no data before the first import.

Update all Mapped -> In some cases we get the data in full loads or delta loads.In this case when u import the data, there may be a possibility that the already existing fields are modified and sent in the load. when u do this u have to select "Update all Mapped fields". then the records imported in the first import are updated according to the second import.

Update all Null -> in some cases we may get some fields as null in the first import.where as when we get the load those fields may be updated with some valid value. in this case when u want to update those null fields only and not any other fields,then u can use the option "update all Null".

skip -> when u dont want to update any field in the second import then u can use the option "skip".

The point to be noted is that u have to decide which import action has to be selected basing on the requirements(for the first time).The import server cannot automatically use the import actions straight away.

This process can be automated from the second time(provided ur requirements repeat in the similar fashion for the next loads also) by saving the import maps.

when we save the import maps the import action is also automatically saved.

hope this ll solve ur problem.

Regards,

Sravan