cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting an XI (NW 7.0 on Windows) using startsap.exe

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi out there,

we have installed an XI 7.0 on a windows machine. Everytime the server has been restarted, the sap services are started automatically. Although the XI itself has to be started manually using the SAP MMC. Of course we'd like the XI to be started automatically, too.

So I did some research and found out that there is the command startsap.exe. The only problem I have now is that an XI is obiously a double stack system. So I would have to execute startsap twice (once for instance 00 and once for instance 01). But how and in which order?

I'm afraid that's a rather simple question and everybody out there knows but me...

Regards

Juergen.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

In Unix, you do not need to execute startsap twice. When you run the command, it will automatically check and start all components - database, scs, instances etc. If you starting manually, you need to start database first, SCS and then the instance. For stopsap, the order is reverse.

Edited by: RK on Apr 16, 2008 7:02 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanx for your response. As I mentioned, we are running the XI on Windows. But anyway...

When I execute "startsap name=<SID> nr=00 SAPDIAHOST=<hostname>", only instance 00 is started. And when executing "startsap name=<SID> nr=01 SAPDIAHOST=<hostname>", only instance 01 is started.

But none of them automatically starts the other instance. Maybe there is something wrong or missing in the default / startup or instance profile(s)?!?

Regards

Juergen.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Juergen.

If you can start the 2 instances independently, then I suggest you build your own batch file and make sure this is run when your OS starts. (You can google to find out how this is exactly done.)

In your batch file, you will first start the database. There are different commands to run to start the database depending on the RDBMS used. Next you will start the Central Services instance, and then the Central instance using the 2 startsap commands.

Hope this helps you get a solution.

Regards,

Reenal

>

> Thanx for your response. As I mentioned, we are running the XI on Windows. But anyway...

>

> When I execute "startsap name=<SID> nr=00 SAPDIAHOST=<hostname>", only instance 00 is started. And when executing "startsap name=<SID> nr=01 SAPDIAHOST=<hostname>", only instance 01 is started.

>

> But none of them automatically starts the other instance. Maybe there is something wrong or missing in the default / startup or instance profile(s)?!?

>

> Regards

>

> Juergen.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Reenal,

thanx for your response. I already thought about building a batch file. But first I played with executing sapstart twice (once for instance 01, then for instance 00) in order to find out if it works fine. Hence, I am not sure if this is the case because there was the following entry in the start<SID>.log after I executed sapstart for instance 00:

running sapstart.exe name=<SID> nr=00 SAPDIAHOST=<hostname -wait

SAPSTART finished successfully on <instance>, but at least one process doesn't run correctly:

sapstart.exe=>sapparam(1c): No Profile used.

chandrasekhar_pandiri
Participant
0 Kudos

Can you pl. share the solution for this, i am facing the same issue during the SCM upgrade.

It would be very helpful for us.

Thanks,

Chandu

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Juergen,

execute : startsap all

following is the syntax for startsap and stopsap scripts :

startsap command: startsap [db|r3|j2ee|all|check] [<instance>]

Hope this helps,