cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Script

Former Member
0 Kudos

Why are SAP Scripts client dependent? What makes them so??

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

scripts are client dependent. because we are developing the layout in se71,and corresponding print program in se38 .script can't be executed without a print program.

and all programs are client dependent.

where as smartforms are client independent.

we can write the entire code in smartforms itself. when activating the forms it will generate a function module. as we all know that function modules are client independent.

so we can run on any client.

thanks

raji

reward if helpful.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raji,

Upto my knowledge Program are Client dependent.

Please Correct me if i m wrong.

Regards

Sandipan

Former Member
0 Kudos

SAPscript technology is based on a mainframe product from the 1980s, while Smart Forms have only been around since (roughly) 2001. With that sort of time gap, there are bound to be significant differences between the two tools. As you have noted correctly, client dependence is a fundamental one.

Although SAPscript has had some incremental improvements over time, its forms have always been -- under the hood -- relatively passive objects, with minimal embedded logic. These forms were designed to be driven and controlled by ABAP programs, much in the way ABAP programs read in database tables to produce reports; if you ever download a SAPscript form (e.g., via utility program RSTXSCRP), and look at the portable text file it produces you'll see what I mean. Many text objects (e.g., invoice header texts) are bound directly to documents which are client-dependent, so it makes sense for these text objects to also be client-dependent. From a complexity standpoint, SAPscript forms are close enough to these text objects where I can see how it made sense at the time to make them client-dependent too.

Conversely, a Smart Form is significantly more robust and complex. For instance, it can contain program nodes and nested tables with patterns. When a Smart Form is compiled, it generates an ABAP function module – and these are always client-independent. This is appropriate, given that this form has more in common with an ABAP program than its predecessor. For instance, when a print program calls a Smart Form, the form itself takes over to produce output, without any further direction from the print program. In fact, the join is so seamless that I often find myself using a Smart Form's Initialization section for logic to handle any data gathering not handled by the print program. I would never even think to attempt this with SAPscript.

Several factors figured into SAP's decision to make Smart Forms client-independent, including customer feedback. There are significant advantages to client-independence. For instance, a change made in one development client happens immediately across all development clients. Among other things, this means we don't have to waste time figuring which client contains the most recent version -- they all do! In addition, transporting Smart Forms is easier, since we can safely bundle them together in the same transport as their client-independent print programs (no worry about mixing client-dependent and independent objects).

Former Member
0 Kudos

Client Dependent: These are the objects can be viewed, changed for the client for which it has been assigned. Other clients do not have access on these objects.

Eg. Script and BDC data

Client Independent: These objects are not specific to any client. And it is universal which can be viewed,changed across the clients.

Programs,Tables but data is dependant,BDC PROGRAM,SMartform,Function Modules

Alsoc check these threads.

Standard Texts, SAP Scripts are client dependent objects.Tables are client indpendent but the data in those tables is client dependent as we have there is a field called MANDT. All dictionary objects like Tables, Views and other objects in SE11 and Programs, Fun modules ,smartformsand most of the repository objects are client Independent.

http://sap.ittoolbox.com/documents/popular-q-and-a/differentiating-between-dependent-and-independent...

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw2004s/helpdata/en/a9/bb963a570b4b5de10000000a114084/frameset.htm

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw2004s/helpdata/en/b7/8a9a3aaf894871e10000000a114084/frameset.htm

Reward points if it is useful..