cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we use more than 16 GB of RAM

ken_halvorsen2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Is there any way that you can have more than 16 GB of RAM on a 32-bit Server with Windows 2003 SP2, SQL Server 2000 and Enterprize?

The problem seems to be that the /3GB switch can only be enabled on systems with No More than 16 GB. And when we remove it, the SAP application doesn't want to start up.

*We are upgrading to a 64 bit architecture within 6 months, but are having memory issues right now and already have the RAM purchased.

Any ideas?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Check Note 327494 - Configuration Parameters for SQL Server 2000

Former Member
0 Kudos

We recently had the same problem (and made a mess during our attempt). Is your CI and your DB on the same box? If so, you cannot run more then 16 GB because the 32-bit SAP kernel won't support it. If you are running an active-active cluster or have seperate boxes for each then you are in luck, but its sort of messy. You have to set it up so your failover won't work unless you reconfigure it after an incident. You basically break the cluster and have the CI run on its own box with 16 GBs (or whatever) then have your DB on the other node with the 32 GBs. If you have a failover you have to go and reconfigure it back to the normal settings, so your failover time might increase a bit. But if you are in a memory crunch (like we were) it is a risk worth taking until you can upgrade to 64 bit.

If you have any other questions let me know and I'll be happy to get more details from the guy who runs our cluster hardware.

Edited by: Jeff Richardson on Apr 17, 2008 3:24 AM

ken_halvorsen2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Guys, it is appreciated.

You've basically confirmed what we've already found out. I was hoping some one out there might have a magic bullet for me.

We do have the CI and DB on different servers and had run the DB with the 32 GB, but the business doesn't want to accept the risk of not being to fail over automatically.

New information today indicates that the CI server has a failed Memory Module previously undetected. Emergency change is inplace for tonight. (Fingers are crossed that this may help.)