Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Search Help on Table Control - Fill more than one field in the table?

Dallas1
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hey everyone,

I have built a screen with a Table Control on it... the fields of the table control are linked to an internal table... The internal table has the line type of a structure I've defined in the data dictionary. Within that structure in the data dictionary, I've linked some fields to search helps (For example, a MATNR and CUSTOMER search help)... I've defined in the structure definition which fields from the search help are to be returned to which fields in the structure.

The problem is, even though I have the search help set to export both the customer number and location when using the search help on the customer field, it still does not fill the location field within the table. Is this a limitation of using search helps within table controls?

I'm also finding that by defining the search help through the structure, instead of directly within the screen, the search help round button does not show up on the field, yet I can still press F4 to bring up the search help. Is there a reason why it's not showing the search help clickable button even though it works fine using F4?

For doing search helps in Table Controls, is it better to just build the search help, attach it directly to the field in the table, and then after the user picks the single field, use the PAI to run a select and fill the rest of the fields required?

Thanks,

Dallas

2 REPLIES 2

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dallas,

(1)

What i understood is that you added a search help by defining it in the internal table type for a field customer number..in the search help you have 2 fields customer number and location...user press the search help ..then you need to fill 2 different fields or 1 field?

if you need to fill the customer location or location (only one) then you need to set the "import" in the search help for whichever is required.....

if you need to fill 2 or more different fields..then you can use the technique you have mentioned last , to do a select in PAI and fill the fields....but this you can use if the combination for the fields is unique...eg: u have customer number and location..if customer X can be mapped to location X and location Y..when a select statement is done there are 2 options..so in such cases it is better to leave the option to the user otherwise if there is a clear mapping like customer X can be mapped only to location X then you can use the select..

(2)

usually when you define it as a type in the internal table the icon doesn't show up..but you can do alternative like mentioned..go to the table,find the search help for the required field if present or create a new one if required and place the search help mentioned in the screen itself..so as to see the icon...sometimes users are adamant that they need the search help icon to be seen..so it depends on if your user

(3)

as in the example of customer number and location mentioned we can provide them different search helps and do the needful processing in PAI to fill the fields

Table controls may be used for different purposes and requirements....even a checkbox,push button can be placed as a field in table control and used,but yes most of the time requirements are like what is mentioned in your case...

Regards

Byju

0 Kudos

(1) I made a structure type in the data dictionary, and separate search helps for fields of that structure, and then assigned them to the structure from the structure editor. It's looking like I'll just have to do the selection in the PAI... There is only one location per customer (In this case) so the selection process is fairly straightforward.

(2) It seems like I'll just have to assign the search helps on the screen then... I'm pretty sure the customer will want to see those buttons...

Thanks for the assistance!

Dallas