cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basis level of patches for 10.2.0.2 for SAP installations - note 871096

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm Oracle DBA. I have to install a new platform of Oracle databases on HP-UX IA64 for a number of SAP systems:

Business Warehouse,

Supplier Relationship Management,

Knowledge Database,

R/3,

Solution Manager

that today runs on HP-UX RISC also on Oracle version 10.2.0.2. None of them are at same patch level in Oracle. It's only the Oracle software I install as SAP software and data are handled by others.

I am informed to use SAP portal and not directly from Metalink. And reading on SAP portal I also understand why.

I need to understand if the SAP note 871096 (and mention notes in the document) is "basis" level of patches for all above systems on Oracle 10g R2 - version 10.2.0.2?

Someone told me that I may find that some systems can’t have same level of patches but as I read the document it should be used for all SAP installations using Oracle 10g R2.

Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

0 Kudos

Hi,

SAP note 871096 talks about both available patchsets and generic patches required for Oracle 10g release 2.

Current patch set released is oracle 10.2.0.2 for SAP environment. But Oracle corpn has released patchset

10.2.0.3, However this patch set is not certified by SAP.

Reason is mentioned in the same note.

Apart from the patch sets, this note again talks about the generic patches required for Oracle 10.2.0.2. It varies from OS to OS. You have to read the footnote carefully to know which patches are required for your OS platform.

Hope this clarifies.

Regards,

Arun.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Thanks for your reply. I understand that I have to read each footnote for the 871096 (already done that and understand all of that) - but I would like to know if this SAP note is useable for ALL SAP systems.

Someone told me that some SAP systems (e.g. BW) can't use same basis level of patch set as R/3...

So I'm trying to find out if I need to find other SAP notes regarding specific systems (BW, R/3...) .

I have to install more than 20 systems – so I would like to try to keep them at the same basis level of patches – like this:

Oracle DVD (using sarcar) 10.2.0.1

Patchset 10.2.0.2

SAP note 871096 All relevant patches for the HP-UX IA64 including generic and options

Is that possible for the SAP systems I mention before – or do I need to find other SAP notes and avoid some of the above patches in 871096 or add others?

Thanks in advance.

Former Member
0 Kudos

That someone has given you the wrong information

Basis patch for R/3 is the same for BW Basis patch, of the same version/platform. Infact is sme for other components as well, eg CRM, SRM.....

So I'm trying to find out if I need to find other SAP notes regarding specific systems (BW, R/3...) .

I have to install more than 20 systems – so I would like to try to keep them at the same basis level of patches – like this:

For Oracle, just install Oracle 10.2.0.1 and patch set 10.2.0.2 and the interim patch/bugfixes for HP-UX IA 64 servers

The OS requirements can be found in metalink note 169706.1

fidel_vales
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

hi,

I think there is a little "issue" with the use of the word "Basis"

in the SAP world "Basis" is a component of the SAP.

But you are talking about oracle, in that case I (non english native speaker) understand that you are talking about a "baseline".

If you care to read the note that you have mentioned, there are specified:

1) oracle patch sets released by SAP, currently only 10.2.0.2

Soon (hopefully) 10.2.0.4.

2) oracle patches (individual bugfixes) REQUIRED on a 10.2.0.2 installation in SAP (regardless if it is BW, CRM, SCM ... ) there are around 50 of this patches, not all for all Operating Systems

3) optional oracle patches

So, you should take pen and paper. read the note and write down ALL patches that apply to your operating system and install them.

Unless you have some requirements that you have not explained, of course.

Former Member
0 Kudos

First I would like to thank you all..

I also consider the SAP note as basis/baseline for Oracle software for SAP systems...(Well I'm not english speaking but I can read it ) And was confused by statements that I had to be careful using patches with "some" SAP components/systems.

And with your replies I can now with clear conscience continue with the task.