cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ECC 6.0, BI & EP on single server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all,

Y'day I recommended my management to take EP, ECC & BI on different servers.... but they are asking me the reason other than performance for different server....

Please suggest me the points that you think I should use in my brief....

Please help me!!!

Thanks & Regards,

Vishal Ranadive

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Logical partition or Virtual Servers will solve some of the issues... but remember you're still sharing a limited ammount of resources risking performance and the issue of availability due to hardware/software failure still is a tread.

This is a kind of scenario i'll use for my DEV,QA systems but certainly not for my production environment.

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

OK, apart from resources or single point of failure, will there be any kind of security issues... ????

Guys really thanks for you replies which is making me strong in my brief .............

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I can't see any additional security issues in a box with 3 systems than in a box with 1.

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Juan,

also how much it is possible with VM viewer ?????

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

VM Viewer???

Former Member
0 Kudos

OK, By the way Thanks a ton Juan...

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As mentioned by Ruchit... performance is one reason, also you have to consider that if hardware fails you loose the three systems instead of one, also any problem afecting a particular system that require the OS to be restarted will affect the whole environment...

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for the replies , what if I use LPAR and install all applications on single BOX?

Former Member
0 Kudos

From the management/budget saving point of view LPAR is the best way to go. Nowadays the HW is much better than 3 years ago and you can get a well equipped IBM pSeries server with LPAR within budgets. Furthermore LPAR is logically isolated with different HW/SW resource(CPU/Memory /Disk resource, IP/hostname/mount point)...Also the communication between LPARs are faster for sure because they're happening within memory other than physical NIC/cables.

I have seen companies running their DEV/QA/PRD in the same p5 570 box with good performance. By the way, 570 is not the high-end machine...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Vishal,

Perforkmance alone should be a strong point in your proposal. Frankly this is most common reason.You wither have to ramp up resources of your existing server or go for split up.However wait for others with their comments as well.

With Regards.

Ruchit.