cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MDMGX - PI - MDM - multiple languages - any special configuration needed ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi MDM/PI developers,

This question is about transferring Config data from SAP R/3 to MDM using PI.

The scenario we are testing is as follows :

MDMGX is used to extract Config data from SAP R/3 4.6C MDMP system ( non-unicode). Multiple languages are selected. PI/XI is used to transer the file to MDM Import server. In MDM the above file would be processed to load the check table. I think this is the standard process used by R/3-PI-MDM users.

our concern is - are there any non-unicode-unicode issues faced by any one under this situation ?

PI it seems cannot handle all languages in one single file. PI/XI has grouped languages into different sets.

Is it necessary to extract data from R/3 using MDMGX in multiple files ( based on language grouping by PI/XI) ?

If you could share your experiences and how it was done, it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Siva k.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Siva,

By using MDMGX, you can replicate the lookup table data from R3 to MDM via FTP server.

There is no PI/XI in between.

Please rerfer the MDMGX Guide which is avialable on SMP.

Please refer these threads regarding MDMGX:

Hope this will help you.

TNR,

Saurabh...

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

I would extract and transfer the files via PI to MDM. If I have issues I will try to reach out to you all.

Thanks for your feedback. I have given points to every one for helping me with this question.

Regards

Siva K.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

Have you used PI/XI to transfer R/3 Config files with multiple languages to MDM ? Did you have to take any special precautions when transferring different Languages in one file ?

Any recommendations from experts who have transferred files ,with multiple Languages created by MDMGX , to MDM using PI would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Siva K.

michael_theis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Siva,

sorry, seems that I've missed your last reply.

I don't know any issues when having different languages in one file. The extraction of different language terms / character sets in customizing data using MDMGX works fine during tests. The same is valid if you use MDM_CLNT_EXTR to extract master data (e.g. material short texts). I'm not aware of any issues related to this topic.

Best regards

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Michael,

Thanks for the clarification about direct feed from R/3 to MDM. It surely helps.

If you could provide your thoughts on R/3 - PI - MDM also it would be very helpful.

If the same file went through PI, would it have any issues when it reaches MDM ?

For example if we extract in English, Spanish and Chinese in one file, will it come out of PI in the proper format to load into MDM is our question.

Thanks.

Siva K

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Michael,

I understand that MDMGX does not use PI/XI. MDMGX extracts the table data in an XML file format. We have to next send it to MDM Import Server. We do not want to use direct FTP. PI/XI is the official middleware for transferring data across systems. This is due to monitoring / error handling / other operational requirements. In such a case where PI/XI has to take the file and deliver to Import server of MDM, are there any issues due to MDMP languages of the sending system ?

On a different note : If the file was delivered directly to MDM, will there be any issues with recognizing the charecters sent out by R/3 ( 4.6 C MDMP) by MDM ?

Thanks for your guidance.

Siva K.

michael_theis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Siva,

as long as you're sending data from R/3 to MDM only, I don't see issues regarding the character sets as MDM uses UTF-8 for its encoding. It should be able to understand the incoming data. A problem may arise as soon as you send data back from MDM to your R/3, as the MDMP R/3 system most probably won't be able to handle the data sent from MDM.

Best regards

Michael

michael_theis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Siva,

MDMGX does not use PI. In MDMGX you can choose either to directly download XML files to your local PC, or you can setup an FTP emvironment to download the files from your R/3 system directly into the Import Server Folder structure in your MDM system.

Best regards

Michael