cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error Message: CoCreateInstance Failed

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Friends

I am having lots of SQL database related problems.

When I goto SAP Managemement Console and right click on the Database server name and select the 'MS SQL' tab

I see two buttons "SQL Server Properties" and also "Database Properties"

If I click on any of these two buttons I get an error message as follows

CoCreateInstance failed: 80040154

Class not registered

what does this mean and what can I do to solve this problem.

Another question is about the database name, password and other related config info.

Where do these info get saved in \usr directory.

When we start the SAP server it tries to connect to the SQL database with an

admin kind of account. In our case it uses 'SAPECPDB' where ECP is our SID.

Where does this info about the initial login info get saved?

I would appreciate if you can please let me know.

Thanks

Ram

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

clas_hortien
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello,

i get the same error on my local box. I will dig deeper into it and give you feedback.

The startup of the SAP system runs like this:

- the service SAPECP_00 starts and reads the environment of the user, that is defined in the registry key:

HKLM\Software\SAP\ECP\AdminUser

Normally this is the ecpadm user.

- This user has at least the following environment variables:

MSSQL_SERVER=<Servername>

MSSQL_SCHEMA=ecp

MSSQL_DBNAME=ECP

DBMS_TYPE=mss

- With this information the service is able to connect to the database. As the service is running under a local system account, it can connect via Windows Authentication to the SQL Server. The Installation created a login for this user (SAPServiceECP) with the system administrator rights (sysadmin role) on the SQL Server.

- The service is not connecting directly, but will start the disp+work processes as childs, which will inherit the environment and the user settings.

- There is no need to store a special user/password for the SAP system, as the service account from the SAPECP_00 service is used.

Best regards

Clas

clas_hortien
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello,

ok, i now know what the problem is.

You are running a 64bit OS and you have the 64bit SQL Server installed. But only the SQL Server is 64bit, the tools are always 32bit. The used SAP MMC is 64bit and tries to use 64bit SQL Server tools libraries, which are not there. So the error occurs, that the class is not registered.

As there are no 64bit client tools for SQL Server, the only (and unfortunatly not supported) way to solve this, is to install a 32bit SAP MCC snapin to the system and start the MCC with mmc /32 to force the 32bit version. Then you can load the 32bit version of the SAP snapin and everything works fine. For the installation of the 32bit MCC you can't use the msi file, you have to manually copy the files (SAPMCC.dll, SAPMMC*.dll) to the SysWOW64 directory and register it. See OSS note 926732 for details.

Another workaround would be to install the 32bit MMC on a 32bit Server with the SQL Server Client tools installed and administer the SAP system from there.

Regards

Clas