cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spool Problem in Background Job

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ruchit/All,

I am facing problem with Scheduled Background Job. Such Job creates spool in waiting status about 4000 Pages .i.e. FI Variance calculation. This leads to slow printing of other users.

Now, how will I overcome this problems?

==================================

I have also read following messages on toolbox:

1. I need to print some report scheduled in background automatically at predefinited time request.

I set the execute in background with the option print immediately.

When the job start and create the spool, it remaining in waiting state cause status "frontend unavailable".

It's possible a workaround to print the job automatically without print the spool manually?

2. Carla, was your printer set to a system printer or to a local printer

(LOCL). Local printers are not available in background jobs.

Darrell McDonald

3. Carta -

Specify a non-local printer in the job step. Local (to the desktop)

printers are not available in the background, since there is no desktop

involved.

Dave

=======================================

Please let me -

How will I create System Printer? (AIX5.3, DB2 8.2, ECC 6.0)

Can create printer on production directly?

Is there any way to find solution for this?

How will I assign to background Job scheduling?

Point will be awarded.

Regards

Dharmendra

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

For Printer Create :

1. Log on to any client in the appropriate SAP system.

2. Go to transaction SPAD.

3. On the Spool Administration: Initial Screen screen, click the Output Devices

button.

4. On the Spool Administration: List of Output Devices screen, click the

Change button and then the Create button.

5. On the Spool Administration: Create Output Device screen, fill in the

Output Name and Short name - I normally use a short name of “DESK” for

“Desktop Printing” but alot of people use a Short name “SWIN” or “LOCL”

as well. Use the following DeviceAttributes fields:

Device type = SWIN

Device Class = standard printer

And the following Access Method fields:

Host spool access method = F: Printing on frontend computer Host printer = __DEFAULT. That is _ _ D E F A U L T

Save the printer.

6. You may now leave the SPAD transaction.

Using this printer will cause print to go to SAPLPD which will use the default printer of the current workstation.

For Schedule the Background Job :

1. Log on to the appropriate SAP instance and client using BATCH_USER.

2. Go to transaction SM36.

3. On the Define Background Job screen, fill in the Job name field with the new job name. Select a Job Class priority of A for High, B for Medium, and C for Low. It is SAP’s recommendation that all client-owned jobs begin with a Z for identification purposes. And most Basis people recommend the next two characters be the initials for the SAP module for which the SAP instance runs. Like ZBC* for a Basis job, and ZHR* for a Human Resources job. Click on the Specify start condition button or press F5.

4. On the Start Time popup, click the Immediate button to start the job right away, or click the Date\Time button to specify a date\time in the future for which the job run. Click “on” the Periodic job radio button and then click the Period values button if you want to schedule to job to run on a periodic basis. Provide the periodic values and click Save back to the main Define Background Job screen.

5. On the main Define Background Job screen, click the Step button.

6. On the Create Step 1 popup, fill in the ABAP program Name and any Variant needed to run the program – you had to have created the variant using BATCH_USER before using it here. Then click Save once more.

7. Back on the Define Background Job screen, check that all the job information is correct and then click the Save button one last time

Let me know if any clarification...

Rajesh..

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dharamedra,

Immediate printing for background jobs spools when LOCL printer is selected is normally not an option. I mean you would get a pop up too stating that.

Better approach for it is go for remote printing where in you need to configure printer with static parameters rather than LOCL which actually is so dynamic.

Regards.

Ruchit.