cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMD agent through firewall to Solution Manager 4

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have a number of external facing portals that it would be nice to monitor, however I've never been able to install SMD agents because of the firewall between the portals and the Solution Manager. Recently I've discovered NW 07 SR3 installation master and its ability to install SMD agents vie SLD registration, so now I do have installed agents... but no direct connectivity between the portals and the solution manager. This means all the automatic means of setting up connections don't work because firewall ports need opening up.

Connectivity from the agent to the SM system seems to be via the P4 port 5<SM instno>04 (51604 in my case).

Question ... how does the SM managing system contact the agent? The documentation suggests that by using SMD dialogs on the managing system you can cause an agent to "register". How? Is the agent listening on tcp/ip? Is it checking it's SLD entry for SM manager connect info regularly?

None of this works for me ... I need to fake it out AND open appropriate firewall ports (both directions).

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I opened port 5<sm instno>04 to solution manager systen

and ran script "sdmsetup.sh managingconf" on the smd agent and it just work! There IS no return TCP session, thus no ports to open.

Thx anyway.

Ken

FredericOzon
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Ken,

The process is:

-SMD Agent registers to SLD.

-Solman connects to SLD.

-When you select a registered Agent (From agent Administration) it pushes to SLD connection information for the SDM Agent.

-SMD Agent checks every 20/30 minutes the content of SLD to pick up the info

-When it is there it connects to Solman, with the info.

You are right, no return TCP call, Connection P4 is only from Monitored to Solman (only one way).

Installation Guide Chapter 5.8 Required TCP ports, may give you the list of required ports.

You just run the Manual work around.

http://service.sap.com/diagnostics

Frederic