cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is anyone running HCM in a separate client in the same instance of R/3

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We are in the process of evaluating HCM. There is an advantage from the hardware standpoint to just activate it in R/3 (after an upgrade from 4.7 to ECC 6.0). We do have concerns about security though due to a lot of users having access to SE16, etc. Currently that is enough to drive the decision towards a separate instance in a separate LPAR.

I brought up the possibility of running HCM in a separate client within the R/3 system. I got a few funny looks from my work mates but thought I'd find out if anyone else is doing it. It seems to minimize the need for additional hardware due to another LPAR and also the Security aspect.

I am aware that it does not resolve the issue of having to patch our core R/3 system whenever HCM requires it. It also creates an upgrade version interdependency for the entire instance.

I'd appreciate comments on whether anyone is currently doing this and whether it creates other problems down the road.

Thanks,

Craig

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Craig,

We have HCM and ECC Clients on the same instance

Reg,

Kishore

Former Member
0 Kudos

Craig

The reason for implenting HCM in a separate system is quite unique I would say..

Just because a lot of users have access to se16 doesn't mean a thing.

You can fix all that in a few weeeks...by revisting your security roles..limiting access to infotypes and all that stuff..

Also a lot of HCM apps are tied into finance like cost centers/GL accounts etc..how areyou going to do that in a seperate instance..you will have double maintainence..unless you are doing HCM just to do master data entry in it.. ) ?

But I would not advise anything. There are other dependencies as well as you said...

You need to talk to your business folks..

Thanks

Abhi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Oh - I thought of one other possible advantage which is that it would simplify extracting HCM into a separate instance in the future via client copy if the need arose.