cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Document structure & Document Hierarchy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can any one reply me the difference between Document structure & Document Hierarchy with suitable example for more clarification? Write me in your own words don’t give me the link from sap help, I know that.

Waiting for your valuable response.

Regards,

Seema Pilankar

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Seema,

Along with what Mr Hopf had written and the details you have gathered,

Document Hierarchy allows you to Ristricts the release of the Superior documents untill all the Documents under it are Completely Released,

Document Structure is like a Bill Of Material for the Main Document. showing what the family of the Main Document Consists of.

Document Hierarchy is like Indicating the Superior Documents of the Documents in Picture and it is not necessary the inferior Document must be a part of the Superior Document.

Please Award Points For use full Answers.

Regards,

Shanti

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

Doc.Structure is just like Bill Of Materials.

Doc.Hirerarchy is giving the priority to the document..

Regards,

Bhanu

christoph_hopf
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi,

from my point of view I would recommend you to use the functionality of document structure.

The main difference is that for document structure you can create a header in transaction CV11 and then link as many document info records to it. Further transactions are CV12 (edit) and CV13 (display). So the document structure is easier to handle. Due to the position interval it should be possible to add up to 999 documents here.

The document hierachy is nearly the same but you have to go the transaction CV02N and enter the superior document info record for each sub-document and this needs a lot more time than in CV12 for example. For the document hierarchy there is no limit on the number documents which are linked to a superior document info record.

For more information please see the SAP Online documentation (http://help.sap.com) under:

SAP R/3 Enterprise Application Components

- Cross-Application Components

- Document Management

- Document Structures

I hope this inrformation could be useful for you.

Best regards,

Christoph

P.S.: Please don't forget to reward points for good information.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Christop,

How do you enable the document structure/heirarchy? When I go to CV11, and enter in the ID of a FOL doc type DIR, I can not save the change. In CV01N, I can not navigate through the document hierarchy in the document browser.

Is ther some SPRO config or permission that I need?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

if you are creating document structure directly through CV11, you need to enter the doc type and number which acts like the main document, once you enter you can enter all the documents along with document type and quantity which serves as BOM..

another way of using document structure, if you are in cv02n, by using path, environment>document structure>create, you can create document structure.

this functionality is default, you need not activate this anywhere.

for document hierarchy, in DC10,under particular document type, under field selection, u need to set Hierarchy indicator and Superior document.

along with the features which has be explained in previous replies, document structure can also be used for engineering change management.

Thank You,

Manoj

pls consider points if useful..!!