cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Benefits of exposing function module as web services

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We are developing a case study about exposing function modules as web services.

Those web services would be later used for integration to SAP box with a Java application.

Kindly help me with the pros and cons of exposing function modules as web services when compared to SAP PI. Also please do quote some examples, wherever possible.

Thanks,

Varun

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Varun

We exposes function modules as web services to implement SOA. it provides the functionality of FM and hides the unnecessary information. and hence it implement OOPS concept.

u can go thru this blog /people/abdulla.fawzi/blog/2007/01/03/enterprise-soa-based-innovations-and-its-benefits

hope it clears your doubt.

Regards

Raj

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

sumesh_k2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Varun,

Benefits of exposing FM as webservices is

It makes function module accessible via OPEN Standards (WSDL). (i.e. Any application can directly call the SAP FM (exposed as web service) without use of middleware)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi varun,

please have a look to this thread

Regards

Praveen kalwa

Former Member
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Varun,

Pros--->

1)Exposing FM as Web Services is indeed a good choice when you want service consumer to be platform and language independent.

i.e it can be consumed by .Net, java or any other language.

2) You are moving towards SOA

3) Composing Business Process by concatenating different functional modules is easy.

4) Complexity is less while consuming services Java, CAF etc.

Cons----> Performance for Web Services is comparatively less than JCo .

If you are bringing PI in between landscape, you are increasing one more layer of middleware which would also hit performance.

The benefit which PI can give is monitoring your company wide integrations at one central point when you have huge systems.

Hope this helps.

Piyush