cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CTS+

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi guys,

Am investigating on how we can possibly integrate CTS for transporting of our non-ABAP objects. In our landscape - our QA environment consists of the Portal that has the Java Stack only and ERP that has the ABAP Stack only. Our production has the same landscape. And for CTS+ to function, it requires both Java and ABAP stack. Thus, given our landscape, is it possible to integrate CTS+? And if so, are there any complications?

Thanks,

ZHenmin

Edited by: zhenmin wang on Apr 8, 2008 9:57 AM

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the help! It has definitely been v. helpful. I'll check with the guys at my side here to see how we can integrate this. Pts rewarded!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Single stack system is still possible to implement CTS+ but it doesn't allow the synchronization of transporting ABAP and non-ABAP objects, which is a big limitation.

I've checked with my tech arch guys, and other than Portal and ERP systems (both of which are single stack), we have BI system which has a dual stack installation. I've always assumed that for CTS+ to work, only either Portal or ERP systems can be dual stack since the ABAP and non-ABAP objects are from those 2 systems. Is there any problem with using BI system for our CTS+?

Former Member
0 Kudos

No, I think that's not a problem, but again using Solution Manager is the recommended scenario.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Same here. I would not use business sytems for CTS. Technical systems like Solution Manager should be used for CTS. If you put it on BI system, you impacting the operation of your CTS+ system during an upgrade or SPSTACK upgrade etc.

-RK

Former Member
0 Kudos

THanks for the clarification. The issue here is that we do not have any system with dual stack. We have 2 systems that are already in place - Portal and ERP. Portal has only Java stack. ERP has only ABAP stack. Which is why I'm exploring option 2 - running CTS+ on a ABAP and a seperated Java stack.

Sorry, I'm new to SAP and all these things are really foreign to me, thus I really Appreciate you guys for your patience 😆

Former Member
0 Kudos

In case you really do not want to install a separate Solution Manager dual-stack system, you can add a Java stack to one of your ERP system's ABAP stack. But again, this is not recommended, since this will also increase the load on that system (more processes running, consuming more system resources).

Former Member
0 Kudos

I've read that there are 2 possibilities for implementing CTS+:

1.CTS+ runs on a Dual Stack System

2. CTS+ runs on an ABAP and a seperated Java Stack

Thus, does this mean that we can use option 2 to implement for our project given our landscape?

And just to clarify, when you meant CTS+ needs to run on DUal Stack System in a single installation, are you saying that e.g. We have both Portal system and ERP system, we can configure CTS+ to run on whichever system that has both JAVA and ABAP stack? (so if Portal has only Java stack but ERP has both JAVA and ABAP stack, then we can configure CTS+ on the ERP system so it can transport)

And this dual stack single installation has to be true for all environments (dev, test, prod)?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In your landscape you only need one CTS+ controller system and the strong recommendation for this is that you use the solution manager system for this purpose. If you don't have a Solution manager system, you should evaluate to create one as it is becoming quite essential in any SAP landscape.

The CTS+ controller system is controlling the transport to all the other SAP systems in your landscape (including dev,qa,prod) , so you need only one.The CTS+ controller system triggers deployment through r3trans and SDM to both Java and ABAP systems in your landscape (believe there is a minimum SP required on the target system also)

You can place the CTS+ controller system on any system which is dual stack and above a certain Support Package Level (cannot remeber which).

I cannot comment on "2. CTS+ runs on an ABAP and a seperated Java Stack" , but would recommend avoiding it if you can in order to simplify your landscape.

Regards

Dagfinn

Former Member
0 Kudos

No, you need the ABAP and Java stack in one installation. I recommend to use Solution Manager.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just a clarification on Pascal's answer.

You can have both the portal and ABAP system as target system in a landscape with transports using CTS, but the CTS system which controls the transports must be a dual-stack system.

Regards

Dagfinn