cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Career shift for ABAPer

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I am an ABAPer withone and half years of experience.

I have worked on ALV Reports,BDC's,Enhancements,BADI's,Modulepool,Smartform.

1)Can somebody guide me if its appropriate to move to some Netweaver component as i will be starting form zero in that component.

2)If yes then which Netweaver component is appropriate and are there enough projects in the market(India) as it makes no sense in learning and then siting on the bench.

3)Or its appropriate to learn some functional module like SD or CRM.

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

That is easy for me to understand because you have similar experience to mine (some time ago).

In my company you cannot "choose" the field. You do what they ask you to do. But there is always a way for a good worker.

Just think about the things you have done so far and do some grouping.

a) Was that something "business", so you can tell who could have ask you to develop the tool, can you tell how the work is done differently using your tools? Then you can choose to become an application consultant (you can pick a module which looks sexy for you or pick one upon your prior developer experience, e.g.: i have developed some time management reports in HR, i can try doing some HR consulting). Next you can ask your boss to give you any work he wants but you would prefer and work harder if the job is connected with HR for example.

b) You´re lazy to thing about the users and the customers and all that business buzz. Then you should pick up some technical field and try to master it. Here you should again think about your prior experience. Do you have any experience with workflow? with integration? with web programming? with non-sap systems? or you are an ordinary APABer/ Javer. For the mentioned you future carier is clear. And you should not pick up something extra-special-unordinary-crazy for the beginning, you may end up doing some part of app of module which nobody else knows but that is good only if you have some project history and the customers want YOU.

IMHO as a developer (ABAP/ Java/ others) (not a consultant) you will have plenty of opportnities to earn some money. ABAP is always needed in SAP world.

ashutosh_rastogi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Well i cannot comment on that much. But still i would say you can compare two technologies. But in tno way you can compare that with functional knowledge.

Functional knowledge is always good to have whichever technology u work in. And about netweaver, its a platform that enables integration of different systems (SAP and non-SAP both) in a business landscape.

Hope this helps

Ashutosh