cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Planning based on Shelf Life and demand prioritization

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We have requirement to make production plan and scheduling based on demand prioritization and also shelf life issue should be addressed in the planning.Kindly update if anyone has idea how to incorporate both in the planning process.

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

kenneth_snyder
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

CTM does not support that kind of shelf life functionality.

PP/DS is pretty much the only engine that supports true shelf life functionality.

But then PP/DS doesn't prioritize demand.

Ken Snyder

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Question Ans..

Thanks to all of you

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anjali,

How could you address the Shelf life and Demand prioritisation? we have a simlar requirement now. Could you share your solution approach?

Regards

Aktar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anjali/Akhtar

I am also trying to map the same scenario using CTM. How can we do it?

Regards

Chintesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the input

"We will define shelf life and minimum shelf life for products. Requirement is that when product reaches at depot it should have equal or greater than minimun shelf life. In case depot has got existing stock with different batches with different start time , so natuarally to satisfy minimum shelf life condition at depot all stock batches cannot be used to meet demand at different dates.This decision has to be dynamicaaly taken as which stock batches are Ok to meet demand on different dates while meeting minimum shelf life condition.How can we achieve this alongwith prioritization in planning / CTM?"

srinivas_krishnamoorthy
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Technically I am guessing you can treat Shelf Life as the Early Demand Fulfilment time period. This setting can be made in Location Product level under Demand tab. ("MaximumEarliness of a Receipt") The denomination of this field can be in hours.The field Order creation Frame can only be denominated in days. It looks more of SNP thingy. So it depends on what the values of shelf-life you are looking at.

I would strongly recommend before you try building anything complex, check with simple scenarios the quality of output plans of CTM. CTM in PPDS mode can do both demand priortization and a pseudo shelf-life calculation like I said above.

You can also write many custom heuristics with PPDS, but I guess it will be a programmatic nightmare to keep pegging relationships, priortization and shelf life together.

Former Member
0 Kudos

just to start out with some global stuff here " a lot of your design will develop what kind of business your are working on and what kind of strategit uses ...

once you have that in perspective implementing functionality such as demand prioritization and shelf life using various mashes of available functional modules and

for all you know it might just be a question of business process design than a functional solution"

for eg

you can use CTM if you are lookign at demand pioritization... but doesnt make sense in all industries...and its going to be not really suited for shelf life unless you bring in a lot of development (i know vinod has worked on this but i would refer to the standard documentation sap provides which states otherwise "The SNP heuristic and Capable-to-Match do not consider shelf life data"

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_scm50/helpdata/en/d0/d7883c18be411ae10000000a114084/frameset.htm)

whereas you can develop a PPDs solution for shelflife but it might lack indemand prioritization

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_scm50/helpdata/en/2b/9eaf39e29b7533e10000000a114084/content.htm

so maybe your solution lies in CTM for demand prioritization at a short to mid term planning horizon and smoothly moving to a PPDS based shelf life planning in the short term...

Former Member
0 Kudos

I agree. CTM will work, but be aware that the order creation frame is NOT the same as shelf life, but can be used to represent it.

It depends upon your requirements for Shelf Life.

Order creation fram states how early an order can be created to meet a demand. But not for expiring stock and is not used by planning to use up stock that is expiring soon.

Ken snyder

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anjali,

The Capable-to-match functionality would address both the requirements - the planning run can take into account Demand Prioritization based on requirements (Demands tab in CTM) and for considering shelf life, you need to populate the 'Order Creation Frame' (SNP2 tab in MAT1) for the product-customer location. Do let me know if this works, we use both the functionality and the planning results are in synch with business expectations.

Regards

Vinod