cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File to file scenario...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi XI Gurus,

I'm trying out a file 'A' to file 'B' scenario in XI.

I have chosen NFS as the Transport protocol.

DOUBT 1:

During Configuring Sender Communication Channel :

sender A : can I choose source directory for the File

to be my Workstation directory(Say C folder)OR must the source directory be on the Application Server of XI system ?

Similarly,During Configuring Receiver Communication Channel :

Receiver B : can I choose target directory for the File to be my Workstation directory(Say C folder) OR must the target directory be on the Application Server of XI system ?

If the Sorurce and Target Directory have to be on the Application Server of XI system THEN do I need to use FTP TO move a file from local directory of System A to System B ?If So could anyone explain how to configure a FTP server ?

DOUBT 2 :

What is POLL INTERVAL ? - If Poll interval is set as 60 secs, does it mean that the Sender will read the File from the source directory every 60 secs and then pass it on the integration engine?

DOUBT 3 :

Transfer Mode :

What is the difference between Binary Mode & Text Mode ?

Please do reply in detail.

Thanks,

Arun.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

>>>to be my Workstation directory(Say C folder)OR must the source directory

no you cannot

>>>the source directory be on the Application Server of XI system ?

yes

the same with receiver

>>>What is POLL INTERVAL ? If Poll interval is set as 60 secs, does it mean that the Sender will read the File from the source directory every 60 secs and then pass it on the integration engine

exactly

about the file/binary

have a look at the explanation from help.sap.com:

"this parameter to specify whether the file is to be read as a text file or a binary file. With a binary file, the data is transferred unchanged, and with a text file you can define a code page by using the parameter file.encoding (see below)"

Regards,

michal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Arun

Do have a look at the following weblogs, which explains the file to file scenario.

/people/venkat.donela/blog/2005/03/02/introduction-to-simplefile-xi-filescenario-and-complete-walk-through-for-starterspart1

/people/venkat.donela/blog/2005/03/03/introduction-to-simple-file-xi-filescenario-and-complete-walk-through-for-starterspart2

cheers

Sameer

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Regarding your second question.

after poll intervals the file will be picked and to store the Integration Engine.what ever you are saying that is correct.

Regarding your thrid question.

Specify the document data type.

Binary.

XML text documents generally contain their own code page description and should be treated as Binary data type.

Text.

Under File Encoding, specify a code page. The default setting is to use the system code page that is specific to the configuration of the installed operating system. The file content is converted to the UTF-8 code page before it is sent.

Permitted values for the code page are the existing Charsets of the Java runtime. According to the SUN specification for the Java runtime, at least the following standard character sets must be supported:

· US-ASCII

Seven-bit ASCII, also known as ISO646-US, or Basic Latin block of the Unicode character set

· ISO-8859-1

ISO character set for Western European languages (Latin Alphabet No. 1), also known as ISO-LATIN-1

· UTF-8

8-bit Unicode character format

· UTF-16BE

16-bit Unicode character format, big-endian byte order

· UTF-16LE

16-bit Unicode character format, little-endian byte order

· UTF-16

16-bit Unicode character format, byte order

Check which other character sets are supported in the documentation for your Java runtime implementation.

Regards,

venu.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Regarding your second question.

after poll intervals the file will be picked and to store the Integration Engine.what ever you are saying that is correct.

Regarding your thrid question.

Specify the document data type.

Binary.

XML text documents generally contain their own code page description and should be treated as Binary data type.

Text.

Under File Encoding, specify a code page. The default setting is to use the system code page that is specific to the configuration of the installed operating system. The file content is converted to the UTF-8 code page before it is sent.

Permitted values for the code page are the existing Charsets of the Java runtime. According to the SUN specification for the Java runtime, at least the following standard character sets must be supported:

· US-ASCII

Seven-bit ASCII, also known as ISO646-US, or Basic Latin block of the Unicode character set

· ISO-8859-1

ISO character set for Western European languages (Latin Alphabet No. 1), also known as ISO-LATIN-1

· UTF-8

8-bit Unicode character format

· UTF-16BE

16-bit Unicode character format, big-endian byte order

· UTF-16LE

16-bit Unicode character format, little-endian byte order

· UTF-16

16-bit Unicode character format, byte order

Check which other character sets are supported in the documentation for your Java runtime implementation.

Regards,

venu.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Michal & Sameer....Thanks a lot.