cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PSAPTEMP location - performance issues

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Is there an "official" recommendation (where?) on the location of PSAPTEMP tablespace with regard to performance?

Should I put PSAPTEMP on a separate disk array from the rest of the datafiles or could I use the same raid-5 array for all of them?

SAP NW 2004s

Oracle 10g

Thanks,

Menelaos Maglis

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI ,

Although no such recommendation but keeping on different file system is a good practice. Since it uses a lot of file swaps

Rajesh

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you all for the valuable input. We did decide to put PSAPTEMP on a separate array of disks.

former_member251078
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

Usually recommend to setup temporary tablespace as locally managed and if it is not possible you can set the temporary tablespace as dictionary managed. Please see SAP Notes 659946 and 164925 for details. However there is no specific recommendations for R/3 regarding where to place temporary tablespace. For BW system it is normally recommended to set put it in raw devices. See SAP Note 359835 regarding this.

Hope this helps

Regards

Dileep

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Menelaos,

stripping the datafile over different disks is always good.

I would also suggest to access the temp / datafiles via concurrent i/o (especially for the temp files!), but this depends on your OS.

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

In Oracle, there is much activity on PSAPTEMP for the

sorting of the data and SQL operations, such as group by statements. Thus, the PSAPTEMP tablespace has to be considered as performance critical.

So having PSAPTEMP on a seperate disk array will definitely give better performance.