cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

kernel patch update

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I need to update the kernel patch and saposcol in I-series machine..so I need to know how can we take the backup of current kernel libarary & patch and how to apply the new kernel patch subsequently.

I am expecting the steps to be followed.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

check following

regards,

kaushal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

How to take back up of the current kernel and how can we upgrade the patch of saposcol..if anything goes wrong during kernel patch upgrade how to restore to the old kernel

Please provide steps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Apply the kernel patch on newly created kernel library so in case of any problem you can revert back.

you can apply patch of saposcol using command APYR3FIX

patch applying method is already described in following forum

regards,

kaushal

Former Member
0 Kudos

How to know the current version of ARYR3FIX so i can download the updated one...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

you can use the latest available patch, ( highest patch level on service.sap.com for APYR3FIX)

download it from service.sap.com and apply the APYR3FIX fix using command APYR3FIX

regards,

kaushal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

I am not much clear about "parts " file which you asked me to create in notepad w/o extension.Please brief about this file and its contents ..where should I create this file..

Please provide the steps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

create a new file call parts.txt using notepad

parts file having following content.

SAPEXE.SAR,

SAPEXEDB.SAR,

no space and no blank line at starting.

now rename parts.txt to parts ( remove .txt extension )

regards,

kaushal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for the steps.

Could please give me the steps for taking backup of current kernel & restore procedure of the same,so I can use it if anything goes wrong .

Please provide the steps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

following is method for applying kernel patch. which is described in following forum.

-

Steps for applying kernel fix in AS400/DB4 ECC 6.0

PART -1 Applying kernel fix.

1) download and copy following kernel fix to tmp folder under rootbin.

APYR3FIX.SAR,APYSAP.SAR,LODSAPKRN.SAR

2) logon to telnet client using SIDOFR user.

3) Apply the above fix using following command

• APYR3FIX SID(SID) SAVF(R3FIX700U/APYR3FIX) SAVLIB(GEN700UOPT) KRNLIB(SAPSIDUC)

• APYR3FIX SID(SID) SAVF(R3FIX700U/APYSAP) SAVLIB(GEN700UOPT) KRNLIB(SAPSIDUC)

• APYR3FIX SID(SID) SAVF(R3FIX700U/LODSAPKRN) SAVLIB(GEN700UOPT) KRNLIB(SAPSIDUC)

Part 2 - Apply new kernel

SAPEXE.SAR and SAPEXEDB.SAR contain full kernel (except IGS). download it from service.sap.com

1) Copy sapexe.sar and sapexedb.sar into one folder i.e kern under rootbin.

2) create one file using notepad called parts ( w/o extension)

parts file having following content.

SAPEXE.SAR,

SAPEXEDB.SAR,

3) copy parts file into kern folder.

4) Create new kernel library like SAPSIDUKRN using following command.

- CRTLIB LIB(SAPSIDUKRN)

5) Apply latest kernel to newly created kernel library using following command.

- LODSAPKRN DEV(STMF) MNTPNT('/KERN') KRNLIB(SAPSIDUKRN) USERDEF(YES) LIST('/KERN/PARTS')

6) Now Apply the new kernel to SAP System using following command.

a) stop sap system.

b) stop saposcol if running.

c) end sub-system R3_<instance_number> using ENDSBS SBS(R3_Instance#)

d) delete the all statistics file under /usr/sap/sid/<DVEBMGSnn>/data/stat*

e) Remove the old kernel attached to SID usnig following command.

- RMVSAP SID(<SID>) DLTKRNLIB(*NO)

f) Change the library list usnig following command.

- EDTLIBL press enter

replace old kernel entry i.e SAPSIDUC with new one SAPSIDUKRN

h) activating the new kernel using following command.

- APYSAP TYPE(*KERNEL) SID(<SID>) DSTLIB(SAPSIDUKRN)

I) delete all SQL packages using following command.

- DLTR3PKG SID(<SID>)

7) Due to missing IGS part the SAP System is not strat. apply igs patch

- downlaod and copy igsexe.sar in to one folder called igs under rootbin.

- apply igs fix using following sap note.

sap note 937000.

-

look at step 4)

4) Create new kernel library like SAPSIDUKRN using following command.

- CRTLIB LIB(SAPSIDUKRN)

in this steps you are creating the new kernel library. and apply the kernel fix on this newly created kernel library.

so if any problem occurs during applyig fix you can revert back to old kernel which is not affected from the fix.

for example.

SAPSIDUC = old kernel library

SAPSIDUKRN = new kernel library

if any problem occurs in new kernel library then do following

e) Remove the old kernel attached to SID usnig following command.

- RMVSAP SID(<SID>) DLTKRNLIB(*NO)

f) Change the library list usnig following command.

- EDTLIBL press enter

replace new kernel entry i.e SAPSIDUKRN with old one SAPSIDUC

regards,

kaushal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

I am clear upto this step

1) Create new kernel library like SAPSIDUKRN using following command.

CRTLIB LIB(SAPSIDUKRN)

in this steps you are creating the new kernel library. and apply the kernel fix on this newly created kernel library.

so if any problem occurs during applyig fix you can revert back to old kernel which is not affected from the fix.

for example.

SAPSIDUC = old kernel library

SAPSIDUKRN = new kernel library

if any problem occurs in new kernel library then do following ..

Now my question even if any problem comes in the new kernel why should I have to remove the old kernel as I am doing everything on the new kernel...I can keep the system as it is right ??and I have not touched the old kernel ...

if everything ok with vthe new kernel then only I am going to remove the old kernel and bringing the new kernel into the picture...

In a nut shell ...my point of view is even if any problem comes in the new kernel we need to remove the old kernel and editing the kernel lib name...I can start the system as usual..

pls correct me if I am wrong..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello

When you said

I) delete all SQL packages using following command.

• DLTR3PKG SID(<SID>)

Why? With a new kernel version the SQL packages are differents? And the new kernel version recreate these new SQL packages?

Thanks

dorothea_stein
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

SAP note 912575 lists SQL package deletion as part of the procedure to apply a 7.00 kernel.

This is definitely true if you upgrade to a new kernel release (e.g. to a new downward compatible kernel version). If you just apply a new kernel patch, but stay within the same kernel release, it should not be necessary, unless explicitely listed as a measure in one of the attached patch notes (check mainly for LIB_DBSL). So, we might have to reword that SAP note...

You also definitely have to delete SQL packages after applying PTFs.

In general, SQL packages help improving DB performance by saving access plan information (even across IPLs). However, they have the tendency to age a little bit over time. That means e.g. that some of them will grow bigger accumulating info for more and more statements which you might never need again. From that perspective, it might make sense to clean up and start from scratch once in while (whatever that might mean) depending on how you use your system.

Best regards,

Dorothea

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

JanStallkamp
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi.

In addition to Kaushals answer I would like to point to the [SAP on System i Redbook|http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/pdfs/sg247166.pdf]. You will find information about applying kernel patches in section 12.3.7 but have a look into the table of context. There is a lot of usefull information in it.

Best regards,

Jan