Did you mean: 

Multi values/multi field

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Source file contains data like this

1;2;3

i have to import these values like this

is there any option in IM to split the source values?

another scenario is

i have 2 fields product number; product name for these 2 fileds source file has data like this

product number; product name

1234;laptop

i need to split these field need to import the data like this

product number product name

1234 laptop

is there any option for this in im?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Priya,

There are 2 options related to your query :

1.Split a single field into Multiple-Fields - A single field may contain a set of delimited values that actually refer to distinct fields. Hence then the value in the source side can be split into multiple fields based on the delimiter.

Use feature - Split into multiple fields.

2.Split a single field into Multiple Data Values - Sometimes, a single field may contain multiple values which dont represent distinct values. hence in this case splitting is not necessary and the delimited field value must be split into mulitple values and mapped to an MDM multi-valued field.

Use feature - Multi-Valued Delimiter

In your case, I am not sure of the exact requirement. But I feel in you 1st requirement, you require them to split into Multiple-data values.

And the second requirement, I feel 2 solutions can be possible

2.1) You can trying importing a Delimited text file. Hence you try choosing the type of the file as "Delimited text". And set the Delimter as ;

2.2) Or else split them into Multiple Fields( first scenario explained above).

Select the field - You will get the options from Field Tab-> Set Value Delimiter - > Split Multiple Fields/Multi-Valued

This option will come for text field also.

Try it out.

Hope it helps.

Thanks and Regards

Nitin Jain

Edited by: Nitin Jain on Apr 4, 2008 8:30 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nitin,

Split a single field into Multiple-Fields - A single field may contain a set of delimited values that actually refer to distinct fields. Hence then the value in the source side can be split into multiple fields based on the delimiter.

I am importing Excel file

I have used this option for splitting multiple fields

1. used split into multiple fields option.

2.done field mapping

3.done value mapping for one of the fields.

after these 2 steps in match record tab the mapped destination field is in disable mode ,When i check in import status getting this message Refresh record matching step

why import actions and mapped destination field are disabled?

Edited by: priya katragadda on Apr 4, 2008 9:17 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Priya,

Try following the following steps:

1.Go to the Source Hierarchy Pane, Select the Field which you want to split.

2.Right click on the field - >Set Split Delimiter - > Split Multiple Field.

3. Give the delimiter as ;

4. Right click on the Field again and then choose, Split into Mulitple Fields.

This will create 2 fields in the source side which will have separate Values. Then you can map them to 2 fields in the Destination.

The fields that you have splitted, will not be available as option for Matching Field. You will have to take any other field, for which you have not used this option.

Hope this helps.

Thanks and Regards

Nitin Jain

Edited by: Nitin Jain on Apr 4, 2008 9:43 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Priya,

For your first scenario you can set the multi-value delimiter in your options - Configuration > Options > Default Value Delimiters > Multi-Valued to equal ;. This will split all of your values into multi-value entries when it encounters a ;. This will set this as the default for all fields. The other option is to right-click on the source field under the Map Fields/Values tab and select Set Field Mapping Delimiter > Multi-Valued and enter a ; as the delimiter. Do this before you map the values.

For your second scenario I believe you should be able to do this under the Partition Field/Value tab. You'll need to select your attribute under the Source Hierarchy at the top that you want to partition on. You can right-click on this field/attribute to select the delimiter.

Regards,

Tim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tim,

First scenario i tried the both ways .But its not working for me.

Am i missing anything?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Priya,

Is the attribute/field that you are trying to import into (destination field) set up as multi-valued? If the destination field is not multi-valued then it will not break up the values from the source field.

Regards,

Tim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Field type is Text . But For Text fileds how can we maintain MV?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Priya,

You can use the pivoting and reverse pivoting options in Import Manager to do that. Please let me know if you need more details as to how to do that.

Thanks,

Madhu

Former Member
0 Kudos