cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi Page/Sec, Page_out/Sec in CCMS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

CCMS monitor shows very high page_out/sec throughout the day. We get anywhere from 1500 to over 3000 page_outs per second.

Although when I look at the available memory in perfmon, it shows over 3Gb at any given time. We have 16Gb total physical RAM on the server, 7GB are allocated to SQL Server 2005 and 9 to SAP. Processor % Time is always very low too, does not really go over 10% and most of the time less than 5%. We are running on Windows Server 2003, 64 Bit. Also the page_in/sec is always at 0, which I thought was interesting.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Sergiy

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sergiy,

This is known problem and you can find the detailed information on OSS Note 1009297 - Windows Server 2003 Family: High Paging Rates.

The problem occurs, because of with Windows 2003, Microsoft implemented more aggresive algorithm in order to reduce number of entries in the modified page list. Since, SAP work processes are running on many worker threads, the pages are frequently modified which causes the problem that've faced.

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Orkun Gedik,

This note does seem to describe the exact problem we are having. I will do some testing on that and hopefully this will work.

Thank you,

Sergiy

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Page Outs are not to be used in windows as they include paging to cache in memory. Have a look in teh microsoft website or the online help and you will see this, you must use page In/s

Page ins on windows are not just due to bringing things in from the page file but also paging in data for reading. For exmaple your backups will cause high paging.... also large numbers of physical reads in your DB will cause high paging.

Edited by: Graham Newport on Apr 4, 2008 7:28 PM