cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Needs guidance in setting direction!!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am basically a Mainframe Developer/Analyst and have IBM DB2 DBA Certification. I have decided to shift into SAP XI area and preparing for Certification.

I would like to focus on some other related areas apart from XI. My idea is to learn ABAP (I heard it's similar to COBOL and won't take much time), MDM.

Please suggest me based on your experiences, what areas I can focus based on my previous experience. Also suggest where can I find related information.

Thank you very much in advance for all info and I assure will be generous in awarding points.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I feel more comfortable in answering your question as have knowledge/experience with all three areas mentioned by you(ABAP, XI and MDM).

As you are already learning XI, you may also want to focus on ABAP as well. This is a very good combination and to start with you may not find problems because of the similarity of the syntax.

Personally, I feel the following:

1. XI

Knowledge of IDocs(and ofcourse BAPIs&RFCs) and their configurations. Consider an example where you are extracting data from R/3 and sending to another system: You may have to create an extraction program in ABAP, create IDoc types, message types etc, if the standard IDocs are not available. The same process will be applicable for both Inbound/Outbound scenarios.

2. MDM

I feel understanding of the master data and business processes involved is a must in the successful execution of an MDM project. Learning the tool may not be difficult, but understanding the master data is more important. So, please try to evaluate yourself on "Am I a pure techie or I also have some understanding of business?". This may help you.

As suggested by others, please refer to some basic documentation also.

Regards,

Rajani

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Mark63
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

As far as MDM is concerned, you'll find relevant information at http://service.sap.com/instguidesnw04. There, check the relevant areas (Planning, Installation, Operation etc.) and the information provided therein for SAP MDM.

In addition, I'd recommend you to browse the Weblog area by topics, and search the Master Data Management weblogs top-down (https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/weblogs?blog=/weblogs/topic/14). There is a plenty of blogs about MDM 5.5. (including links to further information sources), covering both conceptual and detailed features and functions level.

Hope this helps,

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

XI is a SAP communication tool, working like a central communication bridge to receive data from one application inside/outside your network sending them by defined rules to receiver applications in/outside your network.

ABAP/4 is the dedicated programming langauage for SAP R/3, to know more about SAP ABAP/4 pls find the following link..

http://help.sap.com [Documentation-> SAp R/3 and R/3 enterprise ] you will find various Releases of SAP ABAP R/3.

Hope this helps you.

thanks

Alexander