Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New at MaxDB, elementary questions

former_member84399
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear all,

I have some elementary questions on MaxDB running on Windows platform. I had it installed as part of a Content Server Installation. I have a lot of experience with Oracle and I am trying to relate what I know on Oracle to MaxDB

1. I want to schedule automatic periodic data backups ( say daily at 20:00 ). Can this be done from the database Manager? If not, how is it possible on Windows

2. I have already scheduled Autolog Backups but I am not sure what the significance of this is: Is this the equivalent of the "Archive mode" in Oracle or the equivalent of the "Archive Log backup (brarchive)" in Oracle?

3. Why do I have to deactivate the automatic log backup in order to take a manual log backup?

4. I do not understand the concept of the parallel medium(s). Why back up on a parallel medium ?

Many thanks

Andreas

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Dear all,

Hi Andreas.

> I have some elementary questions on MaxDB running on Windows platform. I had it installed as part of a Content Server Installation. I have a lot of experience with Oracle and I am trying to relate what I know on Oracle to MaxDB

>

That's the "classic" setup. Please don't try to move-over your Oracle-Experience to MaxDB.

There are many things that work very different in both dbms.

A first entry into the MaxDB-Topic should be done via the SDN WIKI on MaxDB [https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/wiki].

> 1. I want to schedule automatic periodic data backups ( say daily at 20:00 ). Can this be done from the database Manager? If not, how is it possible on Windows

>

The DBMGUI is not a scheduler - so you might want to use the NT Scheduler.

A much better option though would be to integrate (transaction DB59) the Content Server DB into CCMS. Then you can use DBACockpit or DB13C to schedule Backups. Just like you're used to with the Oracle DB.

> 2. I have already scheduled Autolog Backups but I am not sure what the significance of this is: Is this the equivalent of the "Archive mode" in Oracle or the equivalent of the "Archive Log backup (brarchive)" in Oracle?

It's the equivalent of the Archivelog mode.

> 3. Why do I have to deactivate the automatic log backup in order to take a manual log backup?

Good question. The reason is basically, that the functionality for the AUTOLOG Backup is implemented on a different software layer than the manual log backup.

> 4. I do not understand the concept of the parallel medium(s). Why back up on a parallel medium ?

Performance. Nothing but performance.

When you want to save 1 TB of data it's usually going to be quicker if you write several parts of it to several backup media in parallel than saving it to a single medium serially.

> Many thanks

>

> Andreas

You're welcome.

BTW: I have a loose blog series "Mind the gap" [https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/8428] [original link is broken] [original link is broken] [original link is broken]; and [/people/lars.breddemann/blog/2007/12/06/mind-the-gap} on differences between MaxDB and Oracle...

Might be worth a look.

I also highly recommend to visit [http://maxdb.sap.org] for all kinds of overview information.

As a last hint: go and visit the ADM505 MaxDB Adminstration course of SAP - it's quite worth it.

KR Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

It's the course ADM515 MaxDB (the ADM505 is Oracle)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You're right, sorry ... you start mixing up the course codes onces you hold them both ...

former_member84399
Participant
0 Kudos

Lars,

Brilliant, thank you very much for this! Rewarded the points

Andreas

Answers (0)