cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client refresh u0096 stack level

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

We have planned to refresh our quality client using client export/import.

The problem is our production support package level is on stack 16 while we recently upgrade quality to stack 17.

I want to know if I directly refresh the client then is it cause any inconsistencies or I need to maintain same support package level on both the systems and only after that I can perform client refresh?

Regards,

Rajesh

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'll definately make sure that both have the same SP level... anyhow if you do a system refresh you'll basically send your QA system back to 16...

If you try to do a client refresh (whatever way you have in mind) make sure that the source and target systems have the same SP level

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for reply

We have our quality system on Sp stack 17, How can I set my quality system back to stack 16 as said by juan.

I want to know is there downward compatibility so that if I refresh the existing quality client (at present on Sp stack 17) with production client (which is on Sp stack 16).

Thaks,

Rajesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

You cannot downgrade the system from sp17 to sp16. What Juan ment is the case when you make database refresh (copy) from prd to qas, you will simply lost your sp17 on qas. But I think you can try the client copy from prd to qas and in case of trouble just make database refresh instead of client refresh. But i have no experience with client copies between systems with different suport packages...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rajesh,

You can not set SP stack back. Also you did not read properly what Juan said: "anyhow if you do a system refresh you'll basically send your QA system back to 16... " and then you didnot read what I said: "Do a system copy from production to quality and after that apply support packages once again. "

System refresh is basically same as system copy.

Frankly client copy is not an option in your case.

Regards.

Ruchit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I just want to clarify what is being said on this thread.

- It is possible to attempt a client export from a system on a lower support pack level and import it into a client with a higher support pack level. However, as Maheswaran says, the different support pack levels in the systems (could) result in different data structures in the data dictionary. If this is the case, upon import the objects with different data structures will fail.

- It is not exactly accurate to say that you cannot downgrade a system from a higher support pack level to a lower support pack level. It is more accurate to say that the only way to downgrade a system is to restore it from a backup prior to when the support pack was applied (with a resulting loss in data).

In any case, I would strongly recommend aliging the SP levels between your "quality" system and your "production" system in the first place. Your "quality" system is intended for performing quality assurance on objects, etc. before they are promoted to production, no? In this case, your "quality" and "production" systems/clients should ALWAYS be aligned in terms of SPs. Otherwise, the results of your quality assurance testing are dubious and you could be promoting bad/error objects into production.

Best Regards,

Matt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for your reply & valuable time for me.

I think it is not harmfull to keep the stack level same in both the systems. Now I have started applying SP stack 17 on our production system & perform client copy once it complete.

Thanks again

Regards,

Rajesh

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rajesh,

Both the systems should be at the same SP level. If the SP level varies the structure, field length of tables may vary between the 2 systems and the client export will stop in between when performing the DDIc check

Better apply the support pack 17 to production also and then do the client export.

regards

Maheswaran j

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Rajesh,

I fully agree with Juan. In this case system refresh is a better or rather the best option. Do a system copy from production to quality and after that apply support packages once again.

Regards.

Ruchit.