cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Performance tuning oracle 10G on Windows 2003

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

At present we have 8GB physical RAM on Production server while the parameters sga_max_size = 1 GB and pga_aggregate_target = 629 MB are defined.

When I hit transaction ST02 I observed that values for swaps are showing in red color for program, screen, Export/import, generic key buffers etc. We cannot restart the SAP more than once in a week, and it increases the number of swaps.

We have plan to increase the buffer size by twice for program, screen, Export/import, CUA, Nametab, generic key buffers etc. The addition of current value for all this buffers is defined up to 350MB.

I want to know if I increase this value by twice is it cause any problem to system or I need to increase the size of sga_max_size and pga_aggregate_target also.

Is sga_max_size and pga_aggregate_target parameters are related to program buffer or screen buffer or generic key buffers.

Thanks & Regards,

Rajesh

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rajesh,

You have to take note of which version on windows 2003 you are running as well.

there are differences in the 32 bits and 64 bits version and whether you are using the Standard or Enterprise versions. They all address usable memory differently too.

regards,

valiant

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Rajesh,

the memory values in ST02 has nothing to do with the database.

These buffers are the buffers of the abap application server.

The sga_max_size and pga_aggregate_target are memory "limits" of the database.. you have to define the poolsizes of the sga too (db_cache_size, shared_pool_size, and so on..).

If you want to check the database buffers - transaction ST04 is the one.

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

check following SAP Notes

Note 618868 - FAQ: Oracle performance

Note 830576 - Parameter recommendations for Oracle 10g

Note 88416 - Zero administration memory management as of 4.0A/ Windows

Note 546361 - FAQ: Storage problems on NT/Windows 2000

Note 103747 - Performance: Parameter recommendations as of Release 4.0

regards,