cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Performance tuning oracle 10G on Windows 2003

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

At present we have 8GB physical RAM on Production server while the parameters sga_max_size = 1 GB and pga_aggregate_target = 629 MB are defined.

When I hit transaction ST02 I observed that values for swaps are showing in red color for program, screen, Export/import, generic key buffers etc. We cannot restart the SAP more than once in a week, and it increases the number of swaps.

We have plan to increase the buffer size by twice for program, screen, Export/import, CUA, Nametab, generic key buffers etc. The addition of current value for all this buffers is defined up to 350MB.

I want to know if I increase this value by twice is it cause any problem to system or I need to increase the size of sga_max_size and pga_aggregate_target also.

Is sga_max_size and pga_aggregate_target parameters are related to program buffer or screen buffer or generic key buffers.

Thanks & Regards,

Rajesh

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Rajesh ,

Note 830576 - Parameter recommendations for Oracle 10g , will help you to fine tune Oracle .

Regards ,

Santosh

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rajesh,

The Buffers in ST02 are SAP internal Buffers an are not related to Oracle.

350MB for these Buffers is not very much...

I recommend you the Book "Performance Optimization" from SAP Press.

Performance Critical are: program screen cua nametab generic key

Uncritical is the Export/import buffer.

The Program Buffer is the biggest. Its normal that the Program buffer is swapping. But should not be more than 10.000 Swaps per day.

All other Buffers (except the export/import) should not swap. If they are swapping, increase the Buffer sizes (50% bigger per buffer is a good choise).

Please be sure that your System has enough free memory before increasing these Parameters.

Use the "detailed Analysis -> Storage" Button in st02 to see the current maximal possible memory usage.

(This is the Memory usage of the AS not of the Database!) Caution if DB and AS are on the same Hardware you have to calculate with the DB Caches too.

Regards Manuel

Edited by: Manuel Herr on Apr 7, 2008 2:00 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rajesh,

If you want to tune the SGA and PGA parameters pls refer to the Oracle 10 g note 830576

I think U confused the Oracle parameters and the SAP buffer parameters.

By adjusting the SGA and PGA u can only improve the oracle performance.

The red items that u saw in the ST02 is related to the SAP buffers.

For tuning the SAP buffers u need to change the parameters in the Instance profile.

You can view the ST02 parameters in for the relevant program, cua, screensize by selecting that row and click current parameters.

You can finally check the profile at the OS level by issuing the command

sappfpar check pf=<full path of instance profile>

this will calculate the total memory required.

Regards,

Maheswaran J