cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

quick question regarding:SAP NetWeaver 7

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm newbie in SAP administration and I've been given a task to setup server as a development server using SAP NW Portal.

My team is using NWDS 7.1 CE SP03...its Java minimum requirement is version 5 or higher.

Meanwhile, the SAP portal we're currently using is 2004 that need Java 1.4.

If I'm to be using SAP Netweaver 7 (quote:"Sun Microsystems J2SE SDK version 1.4.2_08 or 1.4.2_09 (Sun JDK 1.5 not tested). You can download this from Sun Microsystems at http://java.sun.com/products/archive/j2se/1.4.2_09/index.html. Please note that version 1.4.2_10 may cause installation problems.") and the NWDS is still version 7 will it be causing problems??

Why does SAP Portal 2004 using java 1.4 meanwhile its NWDS 7.1 is using Java 5 & higher?What version of Java is the Portal in SAP Netweaver 7 is using?

Sorry if the questions are such a noob....

My plan is to use SAP NWDS v 7.1 with the portal in SAP Netweaver 7, using java version 5 & higher. Is it possible?

Need any advise or help or assistance any of you can give...

Thanks a lot in advance..

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

jochen_rundholz
Active Participant
0 Kudos

SAP NetWeaver 7.1 uses JEE 5, which comes directly form SAP.

SAP NetWeaver 7.0 uses JVM 1.4 which comes from Sun, IBM or HP (depending on your OS)

So it depends on the product you want to install what you need.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jochen,

Thanks for your quick reply.

I'm a little bit confused with what's in NetWeaver 7.0 Java Trial.

Now the question would be, which SAP Portal compliant with JDK 1.5 or above? Since I will be using Dev Studio 7.1 which requires JDK 1.5 or above I'm afraid inconsistent Java version will cause some incompatibility issues when I deploy the application, which will be built using Dev Studio 7.1, into SAP NW Portal.

Thanks again in advance.

jochen_rundholz
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Java Netweaver Trial 7.0 contains JDK 1.4. if you develop something on netweaver 7.1 (CE) then it is JEE 5 compliant and won't most likely not run on 7.0.

There is currently no EP compliant to JEE 5. On the NW 7.1 CE is some kind of portal component, but that is not the full EP.

You can develop and RUN a JEE 5 app on CE 7.1 and then federate it into the EP7. But then you still need a runtime for JEE, ie. an extra server.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thnx a lot Jochen for your assistance

Answers (0)