msprot: cant read profile parameter rdisp/mshost

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

When I run : msprot -name <SID> -l it returns:

cant read profile parameter rdisp/mshost

rdisp/mshost is set in the default profile to : sapms<SID>

in etc/services sapms<SID> is assigined to <port_number>/tcp

If you change rdisp/mshost to the port number rather than sapms<SID> it works....but we don't want to change the parameter to the port number.

Thanks

Jim

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jim,

You need to give the hostname of your message server in this parameter and not sapms<sid>.You are doing it the wrong way.

I mean how can you use a service name where you actually are supposed to use a hostname!

Regards.

Ruchit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

sorry i should of wrote msserv not mshost.....

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jim,

Then this case could be related to the fact that you are having mutiple application servers.

Are you sure that /etc/services file is updated on the server where you are running this program.

Regards.

Ruchit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Doubled checked this ...service file is ok....i checked other systems without application servers and still get the same error.....we do use virtual hosts...not sure if this may cause a problem...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jim,

Then make sure that you are using the correct command for msprot. Please check the OSS note : 636938 though I guess you know msprot quite well.

Regards.

Ruchit.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jim,

Nice to see you around...

I don't really know whats causing rdisp/msserv to fail reading the services file... but you can still run msprot without changing the value of the parameter rdisp/msserv by using following switches when calling msprot..

msprot -mshost <localhost> -msserv <port> -l

It might be worthy to check if the problem with sapms<SID> is related to Note 882741

Best Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks.....i've being testing the command....it's like it can't read the default profile...

if i use mshost switch it complain it can't read msserv.....once I use both switch it runs ok....

I changed default profile to 777 just to test if it was a permissions issue but that didn't make a difference.

Thanks for the note but that seems to be dealing with windows...i'm working on sun...tried it on linux also and get

the same problem....

Cheers

Jim

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

whos the owner of your /usr/sap/<sid>/SYS/profile directory/mount? it should be <sid>adm

regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Juan,

It's <sid>adm ....

Cheers

Jim

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

have you updated the services file in each of the virtual hosts / cluster nodes?

As far as i remember they need to be updated in all the hosts

regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yep....

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just for FYI....there was a bug in msprot....went back to older version and everything worked fine.