1 The Following Can be done in SNP

A Cross Plant Mid-Term rough cut bucket oriented planning

B Simultaneous material and capacity planning

C Detailed Planning

D Prioritization of demand & receipt

2 The difference between MRP in R/3 and planning in SNP is

A MRP plans with in the location while SNP plans across the supply chain

B MRP plans in short term horizon while SNP plans in MID to Long term horizon

C In MRP Capacity constraints are not checked while in SNP capacity constraints can be checked

D MRP plans coverage of demand while SNP plans only resource utilisation

3 The Following is true for APO Planning

A SNP planning takes place outside the SNP Production horizon

B SNP Horizons can start after some time the PP/DS horizon is ended

C SNP orders are pegged orders based on order based planning

D SNP Planning is finite & Bucket oriented planning

E Time based aggregation of demand is done in SNP planning

F CTM in SNP gives the first feasible plan while optimizer gives optimum feasible plan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

srinivas_krishnamoorthy
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

1. --> A, B and D

A-- Heuristics, CTM and Optimizer

D -- CTM and Optimizer do it (very profound in CTM though)

B -- CTM and Optimizer do it

(Internally these engines could be sequentially doing Mat and Cap planning, but from an overall perspective it is simultaneous)

2. --> A, B and C

(Technically though one can run MRP or SNP for any horizon so I would say B is more of technical)

3. --> A, C(valid for CTM)

Technically though you can do B, D(Finite for CTM Optimizer - from exam perspective though NO) and E (again from exam perspective NO)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

1. A

2. A

3. A

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Abrish,

Thanks for your detailed reply.

Your answers have contradiction with mr.Harish,

Can we debate on this.

I have given you 6 points for your valuable reply.

I need you to clarify the answers.

Former Member
0 Kudos

but did i pass??

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all,

Thanks for your effective participation,

From this, i gain very good knowledge.

Thanks for everyone.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Here are the answers I know from my Experience ...

A Cross Plant Mid-Term rough cut bucket oriented planning

SNP Plans Location by Location looking at Demand, Stock and Supply in each location at a time based on the lanes and quotas only. CTM / CTP can go cross-plant but again via the Lanes, Quotas etc. but the most robust functionality of checking availability of stock cross-plant to fulfill orders is in GATP module

B Simultaneous material and capacity planning

SNP can do Bucket oriented Capacity Planning based on SNP PPMs. The PPMs need to be created or manually converted from PPDS PPMs. The True Capacity Planning based on Production Capacities on Production Lines and Sequencing is in PPDS which needs to work in conjunction with SNP

C Detailed Planning

It can do Detailed Disribution Planning wrt Passing Demand from DCs to Plants and then Deployment can Confirm Stocks to Orders whereas TLB part of SNP can do Load Building based on Transport Capacities. Detailed Planning of Production Plants is in PPDS, Transportation is in TPVS which are more Short-term Operational Plannings. SNP is Medium to Long Term Planning whereas Deployment and TLB part of SNP are again ShortTerm.

D Prioritization of demand & receipt

*Can be done via CTM *

A MRP plans with in the location while SNP plans across the supply chain

SNP heuristic & MRP are indentical and Infinite Planning. SNP Deployment and TLB, SNP Optimizers and SNP CTM are not available in R3. SNP cannot do cross-location as you think, but it does plan the network via the Transportation Lanes similar to MRP Special Procurement Keys would do. SNP can do Rough Cut Capacity Planning which is not a feature in R3-MRP

B MRP plans in short term horizon while SNP plans in MID to Long term horizon

SNP can Plan all Terms. Heuristic & Optimizer are Meidum to Long Term. Deployment and TLB are ShortTerm

C In MRP Capacity constraints are not checked while in SNP capacity constraints can be checked

True. Already answered above. Additional Master Data Setup is required in SNP though for this. The Routings in R3 get transferrred to APO as PPDS PPMs

D MRP plans coverage of demand while SNP plans only resource utilisation

MRP & SNP have the same Functionalities. Safety Stock and Safety Time (called Safety days Supply in SNP) and Coverage (called Target Days Supply in SNP). SNP has more features and more Safety Stock Methods whereas MRP has the Primitive fixed value based. SNP can do Rough-Cut Capacity Planning on Resource in addition deal with Handling and Transportation resources which MRP cannot. Detailed Capacity Planning for Production is best done in PPDS and for Transporation in TPVS

I think Yes there are so many horizons in SNP it can be confusing, but I think you are right

Yes. Infact we must have PPDS Planing Time Fence < PPDS Horizon < SNP Production Horizon < SNP Total Planning Horizon. There also Deployment and TLB Horizons used for different Functionalities. There is also a SNP Stock Transfer Horizon usually set in Distribution Centers which is similar to the PPDS Time Fence put in Mfg. Plants in looking at Confirmed Supply

1 SNP orders are pegged orders based on order based

planning

Not necessarily. Pegging can be Bucket based -Day, Week, Month. I think CTM uses Orders based though I have not used CTM yet

D SNP Planning is finite & Bucket oriented planning

Yes & No. Heuristic is Infinite Planning though it can check Capacities based on SNP PPMs. Bucket Oriented for sure

E Time based aggregation of demand is done in SNP planning

I think no. Time based aggregation and disaggregation of Forecast are features of APO Demand Planning-DP. SNP can do aggregated Planning ... I am not knowledgeable in this area, but I think the Aggregation and Disaggregation is Bucket based and not Time Based. Not sure though

F CTM in SNP gives the first feasible plan while optimizer gives optimum feasible plan

*I think Optimizer and CTM work differently, but both can give optimum feasible plans. CTM also has an Optimizer as I understand the difference is largely CTM Optimizer is Order and Priority based Optimization and SNP Optimizer is Cost Based Optimization. *

Do Award Points if you find replies Usefull.

Regards,

Ambrish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ambrish,

I think Yes there are so many horizons in SNP it can be confusing, but I think you are right

Yes. Infact we must have PPDS Planing Time Fence < PPDS Horizon < SNP Production Horizon < SNP Total Planning Horizon. There also Deployment and TLB Horizons used for different Functionalities. There is also a SNP Stock Transfer Horizon usually set in Distribution Centers which is similar to the PPDS Time Fence put in Mfg. Plants in looking at Confirmed Supply

I strongly disagree with you on YES for point B. PP/DS horizon starts from Todays date and ends at the date for specified no. of days. For example, If you mention PP/DS horizon as 30 days then it actually start from today(03/04/2008) and last till next month(02/05/2008). But when you mention SNP horizon the planning always start after the no. of days mentioned. If I say SNP Horizon is 30 days it means my SNP planning starts after 30 days from today.

Supply Network Planning is a bucketed, medium-term, cross-plant planning process for planning production outside the SNP production horizon and procurement outside the stock transfer horizon.

Keeping this in mind if I say PP/DS Horizon is 30 (it starts on 03/04/2008 and ends on 02/05/2008)and SNP horizon is 50 (SNP planning starts on 22/05/2008 and stretches till your end of planning bucket), system can not plan for 20 days in between these. Though it is technically possible in APO to have a horizon like this, practically and conceptually it is wrong.

So SNP horizon can not start after sometime PP/DS horizon has ended.

My Answers

-

A Cross Plant Mid-Term rough cut bucket oriented planning - True

B Simultaneous material and capacity planning - True

C Detailed Planning - False. It is a long term bucket oriented planning.

D Prioritization of demand & receipt - True.

A MRP plans with in the location while SNP plans across the supply chain - True

B MRP plans in short term horizon while SNP plans in MID to Long term horizon - True

C In MRP Capacity constraints are not checked while in SNP capacity constraints can be checked - Don't Know

D MRP plans coverage of demand while SNP plans only resource utilisation - Not sure

A SNP planning takes place outside the SNP Production horizon - True

B SNP Horizons can start after some time the PP/DS horizon is ended - False.

C SNP orders are pegged orders based on order based planning - Pegging in SNP is allowed only for CTM, which is an order based planning. Heuristics and Optimizer support only Quantity based planning.

D SNP Planning is finite & Bucket oriented planning - Only CTM is finite planning. Heuristics and Optimizer doesn't consider capacity. But all 3 are bucket oriented planning.

E Time based aggregation of demand is done in SNP planning - Don't know

F CTM in SNP gives the first feasible plan while optimizer gives optimum feasible plan - True.

Regards,

Rajesh Manoharan