cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

J2ee status - Starting applications

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

My J2EE engine is not coming up after a restart. The server0 process stays in status "Starting applications" for about half a day now and no changes. I dont see any errors in std_server0.out or dev_server0. the SCS instance started fine but server0 doesnt.

Where can I look to see what application is actually causing the problem?

I also looked at the defaulttrace which has several diiferent messages which may/may not be real errors.

Please suggest what to do.

Thanks

Cyrus

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (9)

Answers (9)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Thanks for the responses. My hardware is 64-bit.

This problem was solved by one of my colleagues and he did not increase the Xmx and Xms, but he said he cleaned out a few things. He did not have time to explain what he did as we worked from home and is on vacation. So, I am not sure what the solution was.

Anyway, Graham I checked the Telent add tool and it does seem very cool. I went to add depoloy and did list_app and found that a lot of them are in STOPPED status along with STARTED ones.

I am not sure if I could have figured about which application was causing the problem fro going here.

But, where can I get more information about this telnet add tool and all different parameters and what I can do with them.

Graham as you said efore, this is a problem of j2ee in status starting in common.

How do you go about finding the problematic application from telnet in such case.

Thanks

Cyrus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Increase your JVM parameter as below

Heap Size ->2048 or -Xmx2048M

-Xms2048M

-XX:NewSize=320m

-XX:MaxNewSize=320m

-XX:MaxPermSize=512m

-XX:PermSize=512m

This should resolve the issue.

Cheers

Shaji

Former Member
0 Kudos

Shaji, you can make the system worse if they have no memory to do this.

If you are 64 bit then the recommendations should be set

If you are 32 bit then Your heap size and max heap size are fine however I do not see the persize and maxpermsize settings in your startup.... I would set these to 256M and your New to 200M.

For the telnet..... if your port it 50000 then from your PC do the following

telnet <hostname> 50008

<enter user>

<enter pwd>

jump 0

add deploy

list_app

if you use man by itself you will see what commands are available, if you type man list_app it will tell you syntax. If you use the command add by itself you can see what other subsections you can add..... it is a very powerful tool.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes the above settings are for 64 bit, For 32 bit set it as below

Heap Size ->1024 or -Xmx024M

-Xms1024M

-XX:NewSize=160m

-XX:MaxNewSize=160m

-XX:MaxPermSize=256m

-XX:PermSize=256m

Can you confirm your H/W specs. pls

Cheers

Shaji

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have several messages in the default andother trace files in

/usr/sap/PT4/JC60/j2ee/cluster/server0/log and

/usr/sap/PT4/JC60/j2ee/cluster/server0/log/system

but how to know which entries are from now, I dont see any timestamp so dont understand how to read these files correctly.

Thanks

Cyrus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Graham,

I havent used Telent before, can you please describe the commands to use after connecting with telnet

to find out which application is causing the problem.

Thanks

Cyrus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shaji,

Here are my Java VM settings:

JHVM_LoadJavaVM: VM Arguments of node [server0]

-> stack : 1048576 Bytes

-> arg[ 0]: exit

-> arg[ 1]: abort

-> arg[ 2]: vfprintf

-> arg[ 3]: -Djco.jarm=1

-> arg[ 4]: -Djava.security.policy=./java.policy

-> arg[ 5]: -Djava.security.egd=file:/dev/urandom

-> arg[ 6]: -Dorg.omg.CORBA.ORBClass=com.sap.engine.system.ORBProxy

-> arg[ 7]: -Dorg.omg.CORBA.ORBSingletonClass=com.sap.engine.system.ORBSingletonProxy

-> arg[ 8]: -Djavax.rmi.CORBA.PortableRemoteObjectClass=com.sap.engine.system.PortableRemoteObjectProxy

-> arg[ 9]: -verbose:gc

-> arg[ 10]: -Dorg.omg.PortableInterceptor.ORBInitializerClass.com.sap.engine.services.ts.jts.ots.PortableInte

rceptor.JTSInitializer

-> arg[ 11]: -Dsys.global.dir=/usr/sap/PT4/SYS/global

-> arg[ 12]: -Dapplication.home=/usr/sap/PT4/JC60/exe

-> arg[ 13]: -Djava.class.path=/usr/sap/PT4/JC60/exe/jstartup.jar:/usr/sap/PT4/JC60/exe/jvmx.jar:./bin/boot/bo

ot.jar:./bin/boot/jaas.jar:./bin/system/bytecode.jar:.

-> arg[ 14]: -Djava.library.path=/usr/java14_64/jre/bin:/usr/java14_64/jre/bin/classic:/usr/java14_64/jre/bin:

/usr/sap/PT4/JC60/exe:/usr/sap/PT4/JC60/exe:/usr/sap/PT4/SYS/exe/run:/oracle/client/10x_64/instantclient:/usr/

lib:/usr/sap/PT4/JC60/j2ee/os_libs:/usr/sap/PT4/JC60/exe:/usr/sap/PT4/JC60/exe:/usr/lib:/lib:/usr/sap/PT4/SYS/

exe/run:/oracle/client/10x_64/instantclient

-> arg[ 15]: -Dmemory.manager=1024M

-> arg[ 16]: -Xmx1024M

-> arg[ 17]: -Xms1024M

-> arg[ 18]: -DLoadBalanceRestricted=no

-> arg[ 19]: -Djstartup.mode=JCONTROL

-> arg[ 20]: -Djstartup.ownProcessId=1396914

-> arg[ 21]: -Djstartup.ownHardwareId=E1434127413

-> arg[ 22]: -Djstartup.whoami=server

-> arg[ 23]: -Djstartup.debuggable=no

-> arg[ 24]: -DSAPINFO=PT4_60_server

-> arg[ 25]: -DSAPSTARTUP=1

-> arg[ 26]: -DSAPSYSTEM=60

-> arg[ 27]: -DSAPSYSTEMNAME=PT4

-> arg[ 28]: -DSAPMYNAME=debmu596_PT4_60

-> arg[ 29]: -DSAPDBHOST=debmu596

-> arg[ 30]: -Dj2ee.dbhost=debmu596

JVMST080: verbosegc is enabled

JVMST082: -verbose:gc output will be written to stderr

[Thr 772] JHVM_LoadJavaVM: Java VM created OK.

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can check SAP Note 723909 for the JMV Settings.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hai,

You can check more logs in the C:\usr\sap\<SID>\DVEBMGS<instno>\j2ee\cluster\server0\log and also in the C:\usr\sap\<SID>\DVEBMGS<instno>\j2ee\cluster\server0\log\system

Thanks and Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

This is a common error and can have many many causes.

you can telnet on, add the deploy set of commands and display and try a start_app -all. Certainly this is very useful and sometimes can work however the most used I normally find is the stuff in default.trc or applications.trc for example sometimes identifying a failing app that you then undeploy and redeploy helps the situation.

I would be tempted to restore to a point when ity was working and work out what you changed from there. Normally it is a change or deployment that has been done. If you do not know of what changes have been done, search your deploy log for everything deployed since the system was last started OK to get some ideas.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

The problem is with your JVM parameters. Give your system specs (32bit/64 bit) / RAM /OS, J2EE Engine version and the JVM parameter list. Will suggest the changes to be made.

Cheers

Shaji