cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Content server and Cache server synchronization/Replication

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have a basic question about Content server versus cache server.

I've installed one main content server ver 6.4 with Maxdb 7.6 and one cache server at remote site on x86 HW, suse Linux OS.

My question is : Suppose some one from remote site tries to save a document. Will it be saved at the main content server all the way over the network or it will be saved locally first (at cache server)? and How? How does synchronization/replication process take place between main CS and cache server?

What's the optimum solution to setup and plan for such scenarios? Do I need to install a separate Maxdb instance at cache server? In this case, What's the mechanism for synchronization/replication between the two servers?

Would appreciate if you refer me to any documentation/manuals in this regards.

Thanks in advance ...

Rgds,

Sheikh

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I stand under correction but it should be stored at the main server and cached to the local server on retrieval.

There is a mechanism for "pre-caching" the server. This is normally used to pre-cache after the original data migration and I'm sure this function could be used for overnight replication although it may have to be modified so it does send everything across again. Its called DMS_KPRO_FILL_CACHE (Tcode SE38)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Athol Hill,

My remote cache server is 1000 KM far. If a doc is opened remotely for an update and when a user wants to save it, Will it be saved at main CS or Cache? If it has to be saved at main CS, Why do we need a separate DB instance at Cache server then?

Appreciate yr help ..

Rgds,

Sheikh

Former Member
0 Kudos

The file will only be retrieved from the cache server for viewing purposes at the local site although the initial caching should only occur the first time the person retrieves from the content server and then a copy will be moved to the cache server. This can be avoiding by pre-caching after the initial upload.

Check in and check out will interact directly with the main content server as this is where the primary copy is stored.

I assume the database is there to manage the location of the cached documents, check that the copy stored is the latest copy etc.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Athol,

Thanks for yr reply.

In my scenario, I have quiet few users at remote location who require to check in/out documents.

So, I guess, the best solution for me would be a distributed scenarios, that's, Content/Cache at each location (What do you think ?). In this case, when a user try to save a doc, It will be saved at his local content server regardless of its original location (this is my understanding at least).

So, the question : Is there a replication facility which will sync the contents between all content servers ? How?

I could not find any good documents that explains in details about this subject in any of SAP documentation !!!

Appreciate yr comments in this matter and if you can Pls refer me to any documentation that can help me in this subject.

Thanking you in advance ...

Rgds,

Sheikh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, in your case it would be better to have a distributed content server environment. You can setup profiles so that users with a site specific role are forced to store documents at their local content server.

The only replication facility is for precaching the cache servers, I am not aware of any for replication in a distributed environment. You could use MS_RELOCATE_CONTENT in SE38 to move the data from one content server to another (if you move from a non-distributed to a distributed environment).

Not sure of any specific documentation on the subject other than what is in the OSS notes and the Content Server installation guide.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos