cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sequence of Importing the Transports?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Configuration and Development work has been going on in our Dev system since 6 Months. We have installed new QA system and now want to import all the transports into QA system.

When we click the All Import button in QA system, with what sequence will the tranports get imported into the system?

Will the old ones go in first or the lastest one go in first?

Regards

Minhajur

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mihhajur,

The oldest versions will go first. Otherwise the whole purpose of having such queue is defeated.So whatever is the sequence in the queue transports will get imported in the same version.

However this is not be as simple as stated above. My experience with Import All (while importing over 5000 transports in a single go) shows the following:

In case of import all SAP scans all transports in the queue, checks for dependencies between various transports in terms of version and then adjusts the versions internally. After this the import wil start. After the import is done the generation and conversion run happens. In lot of transports there will no objects that need to be generated or converted as such for exxample transports with table entires. Now such transports will show as fully imported in the queue out of the sequwnce whilst others preceeding them will still be shown as getting imported. But basically the the dependencies and versions have already been covered up. So the correct versions stay intact. Importing the objects,generation and conversion runs are all various steps of the complete import.

Regards.

Ruchit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ruchit,

Thanks again for the prompt reply. Just out of curiosity, when we create a new QA system do we create a new one and move all the config and dev transports into it or we do a client copy or whole system copy from Dev?

We do not have PRD yet.

Regards

Minhaj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Mihhajur,

Choice is yours.

For quality system I would say system copy is not that bad a choice. Infact it simplifies things a bit. However of course transports need to be released/imported anyways because you would need to move them to production at a later stage.

For production system copy is a real no no. That is because there might be unecesssary master and transaction data in source system of system copy.

Client copy might still be a choice as long as only tested customizing is being copied using SAP_CUST or similar profiles. No SAP_ALL here. Repository still needs to be transported.

But the most reliable though slightly complicated:

For fresh production only transports should be moved. User master might still be copied through client copy(that is your choice) However other master data should be either manually created or migrated via LSMW/ALE etc..

I would always recommend the last approach. It would help at time of audit as well.

Regards.

Ruchit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the info. It helped me a lot.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ruchit,

Our QA system was added recently to TMS landscape, it has all the latest transports. For the older ones I am forwarding them into QAS.

Now can I do import all, because the QA system doesn't knows that the latest ones are actually the older ones and the older ones sitting in QAS are the latest ones.

How should I resolve this?

Total trasports are aounrd 300 to 400

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Mihhajur,

No don't do an import all in this case. Either first selectively import the oldest transports(using import single option though using import single also you can do an enmass import). After this is done whatever is left is hopefully in correct sequence.

Else if you know the full and final correct sequence then simply delete all transports from import queue and then add them back into the import queue. Since then number would be large better use a CATT utility. I have to do this activity after every system copy from my production to quality and therefore I use CATT.

Regards.

Ruchit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I will follow the first procedure as we don't have a catt script.

Import one by one or in groups and sequence I will follow is Release time stamp in DEV system.

Older ones release first then come to the lates date.

Any suggetions?

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can actually create a CATT script on your own. I have developed one for my systems.

Anyways if you want to go for the first approach then I think what your suggesting is quite safe. May be you can try to optimize by by actually do block import (provided that you have identified the correct sequence in each block)

Regards.

Ruchit.

Answers (0)