Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best practice - backend R/3 password for Portal users

Former Member
0 Kudos

What do you guys consider best practice when it comes to the backend R/3 password for a Portal-only user?

I have +700 Portal users which off course have normal R/3 accounts with Portal related authorization roles. When created they are assigned a password, but as they only access the Portal via SSO they are never prompted for password change in the backend R/3 system. Hence the password remains “Initial Password” but at the same time “Last Logon” changes every day as they access the Portal.

Imagine the confusion when executing the RSUSR200 report I (and the auditors) am presented with the fact that users have logged on but have not yet changed the initial password.

Do I make the password “Inactive” in SU01?

/vitofava

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vito,

I do have the same situation as you and also some of the guys mentioned above as well. I have Portal only users and also users who uses the SAP GUI.

Thus, what I would advise, taking into consideration of audit as well, is to have the below scenerios:

1) Users who login to backend with SAP GUI on Citrix only

We have changed the system parameter: login/password_change_for_SSO=2

The password change dialog box appears and the password must be changed (input: old and new password). Also we have setup SNC (CyberSafe) so that in our SAP GUI, users can click on the system with SNC setup and login to backend without having to enter userID and password

2) Users who login to backend with SAP GUI on client (local)

Users will login with userID and password

3) Portal user with SSO and no login to backend vwith SAP GUI

Portal users will have their password deactivated.

Explaination to Audit for Portal users:

We have 90days password reset on Windows (AD). So our Portal users are respecting the audit request of having 90days password reset, but instead of having it in SAP, its in our Windows. Furthermore, SSO is setup as such that the coinnection for these Portal users to the backend is secure.

We are not able to set login/password_change_for_SSO=3 as we have sites which does not use Citrix. Thus, these sites will have local SAP GUI install.

Hope that can share some experience of mine to those who are also in my past situation.

Ray

4 REPLIES 4

Former Member
0 Kudos

Recommend, as you mentioned, inactivating their backend passwords since they are already authenticated on their portal accounts. Also avoids the backend popup for password change even though they already did that on their portal ids.

0 Kudos

Yes i agree that we need to inactivate the passwords in the backend. We are doing it as all our users will access the system via portal with a SSO to AD.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you have a seperate set of users who still needs GUI logon for your SAP systems, Probably you need to take a look at SAP Note 379081.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vito,

I do have the same situation as you and also some of the guys mentioned above as well. I have Portal only users and also users who uses the SAP GUI.

Thus, what I would advise, taking into consideration of audit as well, is to have the below scenerios:

1) Users who login to backend with SAP GUI on Citrix only

We have changed the system parameter: login/password_change_for_SSO=2

The password change dialog box appears and the password must be changed (input: old and new password). Also we have setup SNC (CyberSafe) so that in our SAP GUI, users can click on the system with SNC setup and login to backend without having to enter userID and password

2) Users who login to backend with SAP GUI on client (local)

Users will login with userID and password

3) Portal user with SSO and no login to backend vwith SAP GUI

Portal users will have their password deactivated.

Explaination to Audit for Portal users:

We have 90days password reset on Windows (AD). So our Portal users are respecting the audit request of having 90days password reset, but instead of having it in SAP, its in our Windows. Furthermore, SSO is setup as such that the coinnection for these Portal users to the backend is secure.

We are not able to set login/password_change_for_SSO=3 as we have sites which does not use Citrix. Thus, these sites will have local SAP GUI install.

Hope that can share some experience of mine to those who are also in my past situation.

Ray