cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solaris System Performance

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all,

I have installed Solution Manager SR3 on solaris 10, x64 with 4g ram and swap 20g. One dual core processor.

After the installation system is running fine but its very slow. For SAP, sgen ran almost 24 hours.

Currently only one user is working in the system. I checked at OS level, even when i am clicking something or just right click to open a terminal it is taking long time.

I am not much experienced for solaris.

Can anyone guide me how to check and fix this.

Second thing is that according to sapnote 724713, i used the projadd to create a project for the sidadm and orasid user. Should i remove it after installation now, if yes, then how?

Thanks

Anth.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Actually My actual hardware is still not deliverd and its ram will be 8gb. But temporarily we arranged one machine with this configuration. I agree with you as i can see in swap -s that the used swap is more than 11gb.

But is there any way that i can optimize the system with this configuration till the actual hardware comes or it is needed to increase the ram size?

Thanks

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You can try the following:

a) check your Oracle SGA and decrease it to 2 GB (on Solaris (D)ISM is used so that memory is never swapped out)

b) disable start of the J2EE engine (if you don't use it yet) by setting

rdisp/j2ee_start = 0
rdisp/j2ee_start_control = 0

in your instance profile

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can also go to SMICM and shutdown J2EE cluster without restart. Anyway, did you check your ORACLE parameters?

/etc/project and /etc/user_attr are Solaris 10 specific for OS limits. You should have these files configured as specified in the note.

Please check the following...

Number processes - by default the number processos are few. increase it in RZ10

ORACLE SGA- decrease ORACLE memory allocation

do a "vmstat -a" and check if you are using too much SWAP.

Check ORACLE parameters

Refresh database statistics with "brconnect -u / -c -f stats -t all -p 6"

Regards,

FF

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have stopped j2ee. But i want to know where it can affect me. I mean if j2ee is installed with solution manager by default it mean that it has some usage.

Thanks

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It´s used only if you connect other J2EE instance and want to do end-to-end diagnosis (http://service.sap.com/diagnostics). For the "normal" things like Maintenance Optimizer it´s not necessary.

Markus

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Helo Anthony,

Do you use zfs file system ? For some reason zfs is much more slower than ufs.

I advice also to use different disks for redo log files, don't put data files and log files in the same disk.

To check if it's an IO problem go to ST04 > detail analysis>Display V$values>V$SYSTEM_EVENT>log file sync

If it's 3 digit number it's not good I would say.

Warm regards

Simos Spathis

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> Helo Anthony,

>

> Do you use zfs file system ? For some reason zfs is much more slower than ufs.

I can't confirm this. For me ZFS performs as well as UFS....

Markus

Former Member
markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

No - don't remove the project file. It contains the configuration for the operating system so your system will work. If you remove it, the system won't start any more.

4 GB is VERY few memory for SolMan. Keep in mind that a Solution Manger installation is a combined ABAP + Java installation. On 64bit systems, the Java Heap size is by default 2 GB (exclusively), the installation itself uses 50 % of the available memory it detects for the database SGA so I think your system is running mainly in swap and that's why it's so slow.

I HIGHLY recommend adding at least 2 GB more memory to work with the system.

Markus