cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PS Settlement to Primary Cost Element

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

Currently, my company settles all wbs elements through a nightly job to get the expense to the cost center. There are many different types of projects such as Marketing, Legal, Research, etc. that all flow through 1 secondary cost element when settling. When reviewing the cost center that the expense settled to, users have no idea as to where the expense truly came from or what cost element it really related to. I'm pretty sure that its not best practice to have a project settle itself back on the originating primary cost element but is there any other way to view the expense other than running a cost center report and then a PS report? If I had config settle the expense back to the primary cost element, what would be the issue other than a lot of debits and credits on a nightly basis.

Thanks,

Pete

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member188826
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There won't be any other issue. You may also consider using a settlement/transfer structure to group a set of primary cost element to be settled via minimal categories, similar to the cost component grouping in product costing.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sridhar,

Thanks for the quick reply. So I'm assuming that its not SAP best practice to settle back onto the originating cost element then?

former_member188826
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I wouldn't say that, it may depend upon business requirement and other considerations like increased data etc.

The objective of using WBS or internal orders is to capture the primary events and later transfer to various receiving objects. I think it is good practice to have them settled on a single settlement cost element.

If receiving cost center heads are insisting that they would like to see it, they may be given access to view the total cost on WBS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks again. Points applied.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Whats the difference between primary settlement cost element and a regular primary cost element?...

Edited by: shruti fico on Apr 18, 2008 8:42 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hiya,

There is nothing like a Primary Settlement Cost Element. If it is settlement Cost Element, it is always a Secondary Cost Element.

I hope you are aware of the difference between Primary and Secondary Cost Elements. If not, please start a new thread.

Cheers.

Answers (0)