cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limiting who can create transports

Former Member
0 Kudos

Good Day All;

I have been asked if it is possible to restrict who is able to create transports. The process will be that team leaders will create one transport and assign tasks to their team members.

I would like to know what Solution Manager role I can modify to allow only team leaders to create transports

Thanks All

Regards

Don Newton

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Don,

That is an interesting concept but it is dated back to when there was a need to insure that there was a control structure in place when there wasn't anything like Solution Manager with ChaRM to manage the processes at all stages of development.

A suggestion would be that if ChaRM is in place, then the standard set of approvals is more than enough to insure that requirements are properly set before the creation of the transport - as the first step in creating new development is to assign the object in an issue or a ticket to a developer and then ChaRM will create the transport once the object is approved for development and the developer triggers the work-list.

So in essence, the development approval is the trigger to create the transport - which shouldn't be the developer but the development manager that approves the requirement for development. All the TMS functions are controled by Solution Manager and the approval processes that then call the work-list.

Overall this is a small segment of the standard approval process for new development with ChaRM. Going through the entire process with the Development Team should allow them the understanding on what is expected and who can do what, when and how things get to production, are managed and monitored.

Hope that answers your question and let us all know if you have any more details that you would like to share to properly get you on your way.

Edited by: David Milliken on Apr 1, 2008 9:14 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

David

Thanks for the information. I am now going to re-visit the one transport requirement.

From what you say, I am thinking that the development manager is the one that create the issue and then assigned the issue to a developer (be it ABAP, Security, Config etc…).

If this is the case, that would explain why after I assigned the standard Solution Manager roles in our test system, I was unable to create issues. I then went into the roles and enabled the create & save authorization.

Do I have this correct.

Thanks David

Regards

Don Newton

Answers (0)