cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

possibility to open the file

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Can somebody tell me if it is possible for the user to open a file located locally by click of button from the VC application? If yes, how?

Best regards,

Dharmi

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes its posssible through HTML Iview.

Drag a Html i view and Go for confihuration of the HTML iview then clcik on the default URL filed at the right top corner.

Then popup will open to selcet type of file and Field to enter your path.

Select file:// option and f=give ur path.

Regards,

Govindu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Govindu,

There is no HTML iView in VC 7.1. Please just don't answer vaguely.

Best regards,

Dharmi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dharmi

To better understand your question -

Would you like the user to press a button and upload a file onto the server somehow? or...

Would you like the user to press a button and then a certain document, located on the certain application user's hard disk, opens in the resulted app?

Any chance you could elaborate on the use case you are trying to cover here?

Thanks and regards

Guy

Edited by: Guy Kirschbaum on Apr 8, 2008 1:16 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guy,

I am actually looking an answer for option 2.

Many thanks,

Dharmi

p.s Am also curious to know an answer for option 1 as well.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

So let me continue and nag with the details :-)...

Once you upload the resource what would be its use in your scenario?

Best would be if you could specify exactly the use/business case you are trying to tackle

Thanks

Guy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guy,

First use case: (to view the file)

1. From the web service, I get the list of documents in the table with the Name, Type, Description (and location - not displayed) which are available / stored on the server. On click of the view button, I would like to open the file (based on location) for the user to be able to view it. I have used the hyperlink option here....

Second use case: (to upload the file)

1. The above model, is then extended to user with the option of details. In this the user gets the popup with the same information ( Name, Type, Description and location) but here the user should be able to change the location of the file. By uploading the new document.

Let me know if you need more details.

Best regards,

Dharmi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

At the moment, the only way to achieve the functionality you describe is using the method you already utilized - meaning create a link to the file on the server to be able to read it

This requirement to upload content (provding a designated control for that) has been requested by several 'stake holders' and it seems VC will target to provide it in the coming versions

Thanks a lot for the input - it helps a lot when you describe the concrete use case to better understand what kind of solution is missing to be targeted...

Regards

Guy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guy,

Thank you very much for your input. Any ideas on, as to if gets shipped in the September release?

Best regards,

Dharmi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Let me put it this way -

Bad news: it is not part of the September reamp up release

Good news: in that release the WD blackbox feature will be released where you will be able to embed WebDynpro foundation components to overcome such UI gaps (so for example you could code/model the missing part in WDF and embed it in the VC model)

Hope this helps

Guy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guy,

Thank you again.

Regards,

Dharmi