cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import Manager Batch

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

actually I've already asked this question in a different post, but i want to reopen a new one to show the urgency of this topic and to be able to reward the answers.

The question or problem concerns the Import Manger Batch. Since I cannot find any documentation on the batch mode, i have to try and aks questions.

I use SP02 5.5.24.06

I want to load XML files into my repository.

When I start the Import Manager I use

Type: XML Schema

Client System: A defined Inbound/Outbound system e.g. R/3

XML Schema: CREMDM03

File: some xml files

After I've done the suffiecient mappings and saved the mapping I run the job and the Import works. I have the data without any problems in my reporitory.

But now I'd like to do exactly the same job with the Import Manager Batch.

I tried a few things and got many different error messages.

I've done a batch job with EXCEL files before and it worked.

How do I have to define my INI file?

Type: XML Schema

doesn't work.

Type: XML

doesn't work

Do I have to define a Port (with CREMDM and XML Schema) in the Console? But then how do I start this via the Import Manager Batch?

Thank you for help in advance

Regards

Nico

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

AndreasSeifried
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'd like to inform you that the issue

<i>I tried it again and aigan with different files. The Import Server imports only one file per service start. Then I have to stop the service manually and restart it again. Then it takes the next file and so on. </i>

will be fixed with Patch 1 for MDM 5.5 SP03.

Kind regards

Andreas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Andreas,

that's good news. Thank you for the information.

Regards

Nico

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nico,

The Import Manager Batch isn't enabled for Type:XML Schema in SP02 Patch1(5.5.24.06).

I also ran into this problem on a previous project and the issue was confirmed by development.

It will be enabled in the next available release.

Regards,

Richard

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Richard,

ah that explains everything.

Thank you for the answer.

SP03 will be available in 2 weeks. Is this Problem going to be solved with SP03?

If I cannot use XML Schema for Import Batch right now, how can I import Data from R/3 (through XI - XML) into my repository? Is there a possibility to do it?

Thank you for help

Nico

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nico,

I would strongly recommend you wait for SP03.

Otherwise you can use type:XML

The restriction here is that you can only import one xml document at a time.

Also, the xml won't be validated against any XSD and you will have to make changes to your mapping because the field names will be different.

Hope this helps,

Richard

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

SP03 is now available but still same problem occurs.

The Import Batch functionality hasn't changed right?

With SP03 comes the Import Server. I started it as a service, but still don't know how to import XML files with XML Schema in batch mode.

There is no documentation on the Import Server as well.

Can anybody help me on this problem.

Thank you

Regards

Nico

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nico,

The Import Manager Batch does work with multiple XML files, you just need to make sure your .ini file has the correct settings. Here's an example using the CREMDM04 XML Schema.

Type=XML Schema

File name=C:\Program Files\SAP MDM 5.5\SP 3\Import Manager\cremdm04-1.xml; C:\Program Files\SAP MDM 5.5\SP 3\Import Manager\cremdm04-2.xml

XML Schema=CREMDM04

DSN=

DBMS Server=

Database=

User=

Password=

//possible values are: True or False

Read-only=false

[Destination]

Repository=

Server=

Port=

User=

Password=

Agency=

Map=

Language=English [US]

[Batch Import Default Option]

//possible values are: Yes or No

Automap Batch Unmapped Value=Yes

//possible values are: Add or Ignore

Batch Unmapped Value Handling=Add

//possible values are: Yes or No

Always Use Batch Unmapped Value Handling=No

Notice that the file name must include the full path and that you must separate file names by a semi-colon ";".

Hope this helps,

Richard

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Richard,

great! That works. But you have to put each file name seperatly in " ". You probably just forgot to write that on top.

Is it possible that it works only for 2 files and not for more than 2? I tried it with different files and the import only works when I have at most 2 files in the *ini file to import. Have you tried to do the job with more than 2 files and did it work?

One last question regarding SP03 and the new Import Server. How dows it work, what does it do? I installed it as a service and it is running. But how do I use and what is the advantage to the Import Manager Batch mode?

Thanx for help again.

Nico

Message was edited by: Nicolas Fink

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nico,

I was able to import 3 files at once, and I didn't have to put the file names in " ".

The Import Manager Server works in conjunction with Ports. Ports were introduced in SP2. When you create a port, it creates a directory structure on the computer's file system.

In this example, everything after Distributions is created when you create the Port in the MDM Console.

C:\Program Files\SAP MDM 5.5\SP 3\Server\Distributions\ServerName_ServerType\Repository\Inbound\Port Type\Port Name\Ready.

Once the Port is created, you can start the Import Manager Server. And when you put an XML file in the folder above, the MDM Import Manager Server will automatically process this file at the configured interval. This interval can be set in the MDIS.ini file found in the installation directory of the Import Manager Server. Once the file has been processed, it will be transfered to the archive directory(at the same level as ready directory) and a status file is created in the status directory(same level as 2 other directories). And finally, it also creates log files which can be viewed in the MDM Console under reports.

Hope this helps,

Richard

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Richard,

that sounds as a reasonable solution. I tried and it worked besides on thing. I dumped a XML file in this ready folder (after specifing/port/map/ etc.) then I started the Import Server(Service). I also edited the *.ini and set the interval to 1 which hopefully means 1 minute and not 1 day. The XML file was dumped in the archive directory and the records were created in the repository and could be seen in the data manager. As you described before, fine.

But then nothing more happened. I dropped a new file in that ready folder and nothing happened(but it should take that new file after 1 minute.

So I stopped the service and restarted it. The process worked right away again. The Server took the XML file and proceeded.

So my question is. Is this a bug a feature or just due to my version of MDM. I mean, the purpose is that you don't have to start it manually but just let it run and put the files in that folder.

Can you please help me. It seems like you are really experienced in that.

Thank you in advance

Regards

Nico

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nico,

The interval is in seconds, not minutes, so i would increase it a little bit.

Would you mind posting the contents of the MDIS.ini file so I can check it?

Thanks,

Richard

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Richard,

of course I will give you the information.

mdis.ini:

Server=

Interval=

Automap Unmapped Value=True

Unmapped Value Handling=True

Always Use Unmapped Value Handling=3

// IgnoreNewValue = 0,

// AddNewValue = 1,

// MapNewValue = 2,

// DefaultOption = 3,

// NoBatchOption = 4

Server=nsfink

Interval=1

Automap Unmapped Value=False

Unmapped Value Handling=False

Login=Admin

Password=

And additional my port definition:

Name: PortMDM

Code: PortMDM

Tape: Inbound

XML Schema: CREMDM03

Client System: R3

Map: 00_CREMDM03

The Log file in the log directory looks that that after the failure. After starting the service the first file in the ready direcotry is imported and a XML file with "succeded" ist produced. In the next interval the service tries to take the second file and brings this error message. But if i restart the service between the 2 files, it works fine without an error message:

Thank you for help

Regards

Nico

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nico,

Exactly what I thought, I had the same issue.

You must put the server name in the Server property of the Service section. I put nsfink for you.

Hope this helps,

Richard

[Service]

Server=nsfink

Interval=

Automap Unmapped Value=True

Unmapped Value Handling=True

// IgnoreNewValue = 0,

// AddNewValue = 1,

// MapNewValue = 2,

// DefaultOption = 3,

// NoBatchOption = 4

[GLOBAL]

Server=nsfink

Interval=1

Automap Unmapped Value=False

Unmapped Value Handling=False

[Vendor_051027NSFINKMSQL_22_6_4_3]

Login=Admin

Password=

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Richard,

no still same problem. When I look at the log file I would say that there is a mapping problem. But the error only occurs when I put several files after each other in the "ready" folder.

If I stop and restart the server between every file import then it works perfectly fine.

Error log:

ts="2005/11/30 09:03:08.263 GMT" tid="2652" entry-no="52">Converting values: &apos;SORT1&apos; field --> &apos;Search Term 1&apos; field.<LINE-FEED/></Trace>

<Trace ts="2005/11/30 09:03:08.263 GMT" tid="2652" entry-no="53">Converting values: &apos;STREET&apos; field --> &apos;Street&apos; field.<LINE-FEED/></Trace>

<Trace ts="2005/11/30 09:03:08.263 GMT" tid="2652" entry-no="54">Record Matching...<LINE-FEED/></Trace>

<Trace ts="2005/11/30 09:03:08.313 GMT" tid="2652" entry-no="55">Importing Lookup...<LINE-FEED/></Trace>

<Failure ts="2005/11/30 09:03:08.313 GMT" tid="2652" entry-no="56" operation="Import" import-action="Create" row="1">Unable to find value map index for &apos;10465&apos; in &apos;POSTL_COD1&apos; field</Failure>

<Trace ts="2005/11/30 09:03:08.313 GMT" tid="2652" entry-no="57"> ImportManagerBatch failed</Trace>

<Trace ts="2005/11/30 09:03:08.313 GMT" tid="2652" entry-no="58">Import Server job finished</Trace>

</Open>

</MDM_Log>

Since there is no docu on the import manager batch I just try and error. How can I solve this problem?

edit:I tried it again and aigan with different files. The Import Server imports only one file per service start. Then I have to stop the service manually and restart it again. Then it takes the next file and so on. But this was the service doesn't make any sense.

Regards

Nico

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nico,

I'm also experiencing some issues with this.

I'll notify development and get back to you.

Regards,

Richard

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Richard,

that's great. Thank you. I will also continue testing this issue and if I find something out, I'll let you know as well.

Thanks for keeping me updated

Regards

Nico