cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NW Upgrade best practice

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

We will be upgrading our WAS 6.40 (and EP6) patch level from 17 to 21 and I want some advice as to which stage in the process would be ideal to upgrade NWDS from 17 to 21.

By which stage, I would mean, at the end of the production upgrade, or when developemnt and test have been upgraded or at what ever time that is best. There will be code freeze in terms of enhancements but we may need to work on some emergency break-fixes, if any.

Also, will there be any issue if we were to develop Java webdynpro using an older SP (17) and migrate them through newer development and test env (21) to go to production (17)?

Appreciate if anybody can share from experience or provide some links to useful materials.

Many thanks!

Sanchai

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

When you say SAP strongly recommends that the NWDS be on the same SP level as the target system, do you mean that the target system will reject the packages being transported or it is a risk that the application may not work correctly?

Assuming that the target system will take in packages of another SP, is the risk prevailent both ways? ie. deploying from lower (NWDS 17) to higher (WAS 21) and higher (NWDS 21) to lower (WAS 17)? Is there backword compatability?

Many thanks!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Your NWDS must be on the same patch level as your target system you are developing in. If you freeze development for the upgrade in a sane way then you need to be able to perform maintenance to production so will need the same patch level as production. However you also need to perform and fixes to modification in the patched systems.

What I am saying is you likely need both versions to be safe and can in fact run both versions on the same PC.

Don't forget to import the latest BUILT/JEE/JTECHS SCA's into the tracks that have been patched and move them along the track with the patching you perform.

SAP strongly recommends the NWDS be on the same SP level as the target system and also your tracks have the same SCA Archive versions. Otherwise your CBS can happily build without error but your deploy could at worst cause a system restore and being shouted at by basis. Basically developing 21 - 21 - 17 is not safe but rolling changes through 21 -21 - 21 as you are patching is fine

Course ADM225 teaches some of this and some is spread in notes and online help. Its a bit of an all round question and not all stuck in one place I'm afraid.

Edited by: Graham Newport on Mar 31, 2008 11:53 PM