Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reg:Efficient solution for a data upload scenario

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I have the following task.

Required data from a legacy system(generate data only in the form of flat files)to SAP R3 as FB01 journals and the output file should be generated periodically(daily,weekly,fortnightly etc…)

Solution Approaches:

1)Write a BDC program to extract the data.

2) Write a ABAP Progam to populate IDoc (if standard IDOc is available) or generate a Outbound proxy (If standard IDoc is not available) to push the data into SAP XI.

Could anyone tell me which would be the the best and efficient approach for this task and need your recommendations.

Thanks in Advance.

B.Lavanya

Edited by: Lavanya Balanandham on Mar 31, 2008 2:23 PM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

sounds like a File to IDoc or Proxy scenario.

You can use the File Sender Adapter to poll periodically.

And the IDoc or Proxy Adapter to post an IDoc to R3.

If possible (Web As >= 640) then Proxy should be better.

/people/prateek.shah/blog/2005/06/14/file-to-r3-via-abap-proxy

Regards

Patrick

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your reply but I need to know which one is better or efficient to use.It is either to go for BDC or SAP-XI

B.Lavanya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Chosing the options of BDC or XI can consider the following things in mind

Going for XI

1) In future if you want to extend the connections with other Application also

2) If you want to remove Point--point Communication

Going for BDC

1) If your Process is Standard and no thought to change the process in future.

Regards

Seshagiri

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

former_member859847
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Lavanya,

If you have any standard idoc, it's better to go File to Idoc scenario through XI.

I hope that, some standard idoc's avialble for FB01 t.code.

othewise, better to go for inbound Proxyprogm.

regards

mahesh.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Proxy approach is always best when you do not have standard RFCs & IDOCs. So just create the ABAP report & send the data via OutBound Proxy to XI. This will be a best approach in my opinion.

Moreover, proxy can handle large amount of data very easly and you can do all validation as well in your report before sending it to XI.

Regards,

Sarvesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lavanya,

Required data from a legacy system(generate data only in the form of flat files)to SAP R3 as FB01 journals - use BDC for this thing because it will be better for large source files.

the output file should be generated periodically(daily,weekly,fortnightly etc…) - if this output file contains acknowledgment for the data uploaded by the above process, create a ABAP report for it and schedule it..........but if this output contains some other IDOC data which you need to send as a file to a third-party system, then go for SAP XI provided the IDOC data is not too large... but if the IDOC size is huge, then just create a ABAP report for outputting data to a file on application server and FTP the file to third-party system.

Regards,

Rajeev Gupta

nikhil_bose
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If Legacy produces flat file and you need to send it to R/3 system, you can use the sender as File Adapter.

- You can configure file adapter to poll in intervals

- You can delete/archive the files been read.

At R/3 end you can use IDoc, RFC or Proxy depending upon the business needs.

i.e.:

1) If you have large amount of data, you can go with proxies (supported by 6.40 or greater)

2) Other wise you need XI to transform and send it as one single IDoc to the R/3.

3) you can also use RFC but you should consider the frequency of calling RFC (for each file picked up, there will be one execution)

regards,

nikhil