cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MDM-BI Intergration

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Can any one explain how MDM is integrating with BI.

What are the set-ups required for that.?

What is the use of BI in MDM?

Please expain in detail and also can send any related documents.

Regards,

RS

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ritesh,

BI is an ETL tool mainly used for reporting.

Use of Bi in MDM -I would like to explain u eith an example.

Consider a customer of company xyz is maintained in the database with different name like

Cust_id--

Cust-name.--

purchased worth

001--

Ritesh srivastava.----500$

002--

R.S.--

520$

Now if company wants to give some discounts or gift to customers who purchased more than 1000$.Becoz same customer is maintained with different name .during report analysis it will treat both as 2 separate customer and though customer has made an transaction of 1020$ ,he wont be benefited.therefore to remove such duplicates we take data in MDM from BI ,cleanse it and syndicate.So proper and correct report can be generated.

I have done a BI MDM integration scenario where im using an ABAP program from BI side which will extract data from BI infoObject into an interanl table and convert it into xml format and transfer to MDM server ftp Inbound ready folder.To get cleansed adta again in MDM server ftp Outbound ready folder, we are using again an ABAP program in BI side.

U can also use ABAP API for integration between two system which i guess someone already answered.

Plz reward points if u find this helpful.

Regards,

Neethu Joy.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ritesh,

Regarding the following questions:

1) Can any one explain how MDM is integrating with BI.

- MDM is a Master data managing tool and BI is a Reporting tool,both are SAP developed tool and the file exchange mechanism between them is such that they can easily communicate with each other.

Which means the format in which BI can receive the data is one of the formats in which MDM can send data.As MDM can send data file in other differnt formats as well such as XML,flat,etc

Integration between MDM and BI is being explained in details in the above replies.

2)What are the set-ups required for that.?

- Within MDM no major setups need to be done as it is designed to integrate with different systems.

As BI receives .txt files ,MDM needs to send its consolidated data in the form of .txt which can be taken care of in the MDM syndicator.Also we need a path from where BI will pick this data and populate its consolidate info object.for this MDM has to make its ready folder FTP enabled this will help BI poll and pick the output file every time its present.

3)What is the use of BI in MDM?

- This is the main question why are we doing this integartion?

This is because one of the main purpose of MDM is to consolidate master records and then eliminate duplicate among them by assigning a global Id .

Bi is a reporting tool which is used for analysis purpose ,MDM will syndicate the consolidated result to BI this will help it do Correct reporting on the cleansed records which will deliver correct result that will eventually help in improving business.

Hope it helped

Kindly reward points if found useful

Thanks

Simona

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ritesh,

BI-MDM intergration can be done in 2 ways :

1. Using ABAP API's - This can be used for BI 7.0

2. Using File Transfer Machanism - This can be used for BI 3.5

Chanhari has already mentioned the steps for BI7.0 Integration with MDM.

For the BI 3.5 intergation, the format for file transfer is .CSV format. The main advantage of the intregration is that MDM and BI both understand .CSV format. Hence we do not require any 3rd party to make the connection.

You can simply use Remote systems in MDM, place the files extracted from BI in the (Inbound) ready folder of MDM port from where they are imported into MDM.

You do the following tasks in MDM and then syndicate the file to BI ( in the Outbound Ready folder).

Hope it helps.

Thanks and Regards

Nitin Jain

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ritesh,

Tell me your email id and i'll forward you a document related to the integration of MDM with BI. I can't send you the link here only b'coz it's a PDF.

Regards

Richa

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Steps in the connectivity through ABAP API's

1. DO all the configurations in MDMAPIC.

2. There should be a repository in MDM with the same name.

3. USER MAPPING should be done. Create a corresponding user in MDM.( For precaution try mentioning the password).

4.Place the ALLOW.Ip in the MDM Server.

After this the connection should be established. If you have already done the configurations, And if the same problem persists, then check whether you have taken care of the CASE( For ex. MDM repository name and the name that you have mentioned in MDMAPIC are in the same upper or lower case).

And if still same error comes, then check whether both the BI and the MDM server versions are compatible.

Please go through these links:

1. SAP MDM 5.5 sp03 with BI Integration PDF

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/eceebfaf-0801-0010-ce8c-9a1fe263...

2. Integrating Master Data Management and Business Intelligence, Part 2

http://www.b-eye-network.in/view-articles/3783

3.https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/media/uuid/00c49ffb-e5e5-2910-73ba-c85af1da5b0a

Can u give me ur mail id . I will send more documents to you.

Regards

Hari

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ritesh,

Do you require for BI 3.5 or BI 7 ?

Can any one explain how MDM is integrating with BI.

With BI 3.5 , the communication is by file exchange

With BI 7, they can directly talk to each other.

What is the use of BI in MDM?

Analytics, thats the main advantage of MDM. MDM will help in accurate reporting by giving unified view of 1 customer etc.

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/wiki?path=/display/home/connectivity-BI-MDM+Integration

+ An