cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamic entry list - Use Value as input to WS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have a Dynamic Entry list, which displays the text, I would however like to store its value, so that I could use it as input for the Web service.

Any ideas, how that can be done?

Many thanks,

Dharmi

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dharmi Tanna,

In your model,

Drag a Data Store connector from the Compose task panel to the Design board.

Drag from the out port of the UI element whose data is to be stored in the Data Store to the port of the Data Store element.

Right-click the Data Store element and from the context menu, choose Define Data.

Define a virtual field for the Data Store by clicking the Add Field button and choosing the type of data that you want to store. Add more fields as required.

The field is added with a default name.

To define a default value for each field, enter it in the Default Value column.

Define the event used to transfer data to the Data Store

Right-click the connecting line to the Data Store, and from the context menu choose Rename.

Name the event with the same name as the action that adds items to the Data

Map values from the UI element fields to the Data Store fields:

Right-click the connecting line between the elements, and from the context menu choose Map Data.

In the Assigned Value column, choose a UI element field, enter a field name, or define a dynamic expression to specify from where to take the value that is placed in the Data Store.

Edited by: Ahmed Salah on Apr 1, 2008 11:02 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ahmed,

I appreciate your detailed explanation, but this is not the answer I am looking for. True, I have to store the value in data store and I am also aware of how to do it but the question was to store the "VALUE" of Dynamic Entry List.

Kindly note: The "VALUE" here is that of "NAME-VALUE" pair. I can store the Name since that is displayed as the text but not the VALUE and that is what I am looking for.

Best regards,

Dharmi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dharmi,

If I understand you correctly, you are interested only in the field fullName, and not in the field contactId. If this is the case, you can simply choose contactId for both Text and Value in the outputs tab of the entry list editor. This means that fullName will be used both as the text in the drop down (that the end user sees) and as the value of the field contact, to which the entry list is bound.

If, however, your intention was to use both contactId and fullName, then unfortunately there is no good way to do this in SP5. We are aware of the need for this ability, and it has been included in a future version. If this is what you need, you might be able to use a delimiter and string concatenation in order to put both fields in the Value.

I'm hoping that one of these two answers can help you.

Eyal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Eyal,

Well none of the answers are of help.

My intention is indeed to use both the full name and ContactId, Fullname to display in Dropdown and on basis of which fullname was selected that contact id to send to the Web Service.

Any ways thank you for letting me know that it would be possible in further releases.

Best regards,

Dharmi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

There is a solution for this without a datastore.

Right click your drodown list and Select Entry List. Choose the "Outputs" tab. You have 2 fields there "Value" and "Text". Your Value should be =@CustomerID and Text should be =@Surname or whatever. You then just have =@CustomerID as your input to your webservice. It appears as the selected value in the dropdown list automatically populates this name/value pair.

Cheers,

Russ.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dharmi,

You can stor the values of the selected entry in a data store and whenever you need it you can pass them to the required web service.

Regards,

Ahmed

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ahmed,

That is true, that is exactly I want to do but how to do.

Regareds,

Dharmi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dharmi,

I think perhaps that you have defined your entry list for a control without binding it to a field. In order to do this without creating a new entry list, try the following steps:

1. Go to the Define Data dialog of the view which contains the control.

2. Add a new field of type string, and leave the leftmost-checkbox (Add/Remove Control, with the glasses icon) blank.

3. Now choose your existing control from the Layout board. Right click "Configure" on it.

4. In the Configure panel for this control, select the field you added in step 2 from the Value property's drop down.

Now the control's value will be placed into this field, and you can map it to a service.

Tell me if this works for you.

Eyal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eyal,

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately that is not what I require!

"I already have a Dynamic Entry List defined and it is bound as well to the drop down (w/o which you cannot define it!), The drop down (Dynamic Entry list is combination of Value and Text) displays Text, which is exactly what is required. However, I would also like to use it's Value, any ideas on How to do that? "

Best regards,

Dharmi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dharmi,

If the drop down is bound to a field, then you should be able to pick that field from the Map Data dialog when you right-click on the mapping between the view containing the drop down and the WS's in port. In run time, the value that the user chose will be entered into this field, so a mapping using this field would seem to be what you want.

But perhaps I have misunderstood what the problem is. Perhaps some screen shots could be useful?

Regards,

Eyal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eyal,

True, but I don't want to use that, as mentioned it is Name-Value pair and I would like to use the value as input to WS.

Hereby by screenshots to explain:

1. [Contact dynamic entry list|http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/778/contactentrylistwizard1ql2.jpg] as you see that there is Text and Value.

2. [fullname is displayed - Text|http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/3198/quotationmodifycs0.jpg] - which is right but on background I would like to use the contactId as input to other WS.

I hope the problem/ question is now clear...

Best regards,

Dharmi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dharmi,

Can you post a screen shot of the configure panel of the drop down control?

Thanks,

Eyal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eyal,

Hereby the configure panel screenshot:

[Configure panel - Dynamic entry list|http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/9577/configurepanelyl2.jpg]

Best regards,

Dharmi