cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Import Large number to transport requests in production quickly?

0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I have to import the 4000 requests into productions. can any one suggest the best possible way of doing this in less time?

Can we bundle all these requests into one request and import this request?

Thanks in advance

hari

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Open an excel sheet

1) in the first column fill in all the 4000 request nos. eg (<SID>K999999).

2) in the second column enter the formula

="echo 'Importing "&A1&"';"&"tp addtobuffer "&A1&" SID;"&"tp import "&A1&" SID;"

3)copy paste the formula in all the row for all the request.

4)copy all the entries as is to a notepad and save the file import_tp.bat (windows) import_tp.sh (unix) and run the file.

or you can have the forumla as

="echo 'Importing "&A1&"';"&"tp addtobuffer "&A1&" SID;

and login to SAP, execute STMS and start the import and monitor it from here for any errors.

make sure the RDDIMPDP is schedule in SE38.

Cheers

Shaji

Edited by: Shaji Jacob on Mar 31, 2008 3:43 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shaji,

Nice idea to use Excel but do you run Excel from the SAP server ?

Is Office installed on your Windows SAP servers ?

Regards,

Olivier

Former Member
0 Kudos

Using excel sheet i mean to run it on your laptop/desktop, to make your effort easy. I hope you got it and not typing all the 4000 lines......be a smart man.

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

0 Kudos

I did the following.

Copied all cofiles and data files to the transport directory (/usr/sap/trans/data &cofiles) of the system in which I am going to import the all the requests and after that, added the requests to queue using the CATT script and performed import in sap.

Thanks for all for your suggestions.

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Harikrishna,

What is the OS, if the OS is UNIX, you can put all your transport requests into a file: transports.txt and then write a script such as.

for i in `cat transports.txt`

do

tp addtobuffer $i

if $$ eq 0 then

tp import $i <import options that you prefer>

if $$ neq 0 then

echo "Error while importing transport request: $i"

exit 1

endif

else

echo "Error while adding transport request: $i"

exit 1

endif

done

pardon the syntax as it will depend on your OS and the UNIX shell you are using..

If the OS is windows

try out the excel method or try your hand at batch files.

Regards,

Siddhesh

0 Kudos

Hi siddesh,

thanks.

Just one doubt, if there is any error in importing the request will the script stops there or continue to importing the next request.

OS used is AIX.

thanks all for providing valuable inputs.

Thanks & Regards

Hari

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

The statement :

if $$ neq 0 then

echo "Error while importing transport request: $i"

exit 1

is for preventing any addtobuffer or import errors.

$$ i think at shell prompt gives you the return code of last command run.

so i am checking here if last command run given is not equal to 0 (success) then flag it as an error and go ahead.

Regards,

Siddhesh

0 Kudos

Hi,

How is the idea of combining all the requests into one request and importing?

I have combined all the workbench requests into one WB request and all customising requests into one Customising Request.

Please let me know is there any dangers in this. Also please let me know which request need to be imported first i.e customisig request or work bench request.

Advance thanks for your suggestions.

Regards

--Hari

Sm1tje
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

normally, I always combine transports into ONE big transport to avoid problems that occur when transports are related (using same data element for example). So I do recommend doing it like that.

Start with the workbench transport and next the customizing transport. in some cases, when you have created a custom table, and you are first transporting the customizing, this will give errors since z-table is not yet available.

Dangers: I don't see any danger (from far), only thing that these transports some times take quite some time. But that's it.

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Hari,

The only issues i see is in the case of errors/warnings. If you have too many developments clubbed into one transport figuring out transport warnings/errors can be a nightmare.

If all objects in the transport request are independent then generally the transport goes in smoothly.

Give a thought towards why SAP provides OCS notes wherein SAP says that club particular support packs together and sometimes DON'T club particular support packs together.

So, i suppose it all depends on the complexity of the developments you are including.

Regards,

Siddhesh

0 Kudos

Thanks for you all.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Hari,

You better import from the OS with script file, make sure of the order it may lead to big problems. Make sure of consistant backup as well..

Regards,

Hari.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Put the list of your requests in a text file and write a script which reads this file to import the requests.

We've been using this method for years with success.

Regards,

Olivier