cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File To IDOC Thru XI

Former Member
0 Kudos

Scenario File ===> XI ===> R/3 ( IDOC) ASynchrnous.

In the Sender File we have more than 2000 Employee Records/rows and this file is Comma Delimited, this is aFixed file format.. We are going to send this file every Monday. This File resides in the UNIX Server. Whether an UNIX Script will Trigger this Process?

How should I Trigger this process, that is how should I send all these 2000 records from the Sender system to XI .

Inside XI should I need to define a Multiline Container to hold all these 2000 records, before we send it to R/3 or if there is any other better way to hold these records inside XI?

So once we send these 2000 records to R/3, who will take care of the Posting? if there is any special routine that will be triggered at r/3 side to take care of these new incoming records?

We are on WAS 6.40, SP 12. This means on the receiver side I can very well go for a Proxy (communication Channel) , instead of the IDOC (Receiver) Adapter. If you say I can go for the proxy, then what are all the steps that I need to keep in my mind or How should I do this Proxy?

Thanks a lot.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Karen

There is a weblog on file to multiple idocs,

/people/anish.abraham2/blog/2005/12/22/file-to-multiple-idocs-xslt-mapping

see if it helps (he uses XSLT mapping)

Also if one of your question is polling your directory at a specific time? Then below is a snippet i picked up from the OSS notes.

File Sender: Scheduling

Q: How do I configure a File Adapter sender channel to poll a directory at a specific time of day?

A: This is currently not possible. However, we are evaluating whether we can provide a channel scheduling functionality in a future release.

cheers

Sameer

moorthy
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Karen,

The scenario is : File->XI->Idoc

In this scenario you need to have one File Adapter for sending a file. This will be in Sender Side. This File Adapter is responsible for picking the file from the Unix Server. We can mention the Poll Interval for the File Adapter. It will keep on polling the specified Directory and it will convert Comma Delimited file into XML file. For this you need to configure the File Adaper with Message protocolo as "File Content Conversion".

If you have one input file and having 2000 Records and u need to post the 2000 Idocs then no need of any extra settings required. You can do this in Mapping. There is no need of Multiline Container in XI for this scenario.

But if you are posting multiple idocs then you need to go for Idoc package concept.Here you changing the Idoc container as a Multiline container by changing the Occurence of the Idoc.

In Receiver side you can directly go with Idoc Adpater which converts XML data into Idoc-XML and populate the data into R/3. So XI will populate the strucured data in the R/3. And posting is taken care by some function modules written in ABAP.

For ABAP Proxy settings u can go with following link:-/people/ravikumar.allampallam/blog/2005/03/14/abap-proxies-in-xiclient-proxy

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Moorthy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sameer and Rajeev Many Many Thanks for the Information.

After listening to your comments, here goes my approach

File ---> XI ---> IDOC.

Sender Adapter : File Receiver Adapter : IDOC

Rajeev : Could you please explain me more on how could I handle that 2000 records that are coming from file in the Message Mapping? So you want to say that there is no need of a BPM at all? We are not Having MULTIPLE IDOCS

Whether it is possible to Pick that file on Specific Time of a Day?

Once again my sincere thanks and I really appreciate you for the Intelligent and useful answer.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Krihsna Moorthy too.

The Question served for Rajeev was intended for Krishna Moorthy.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Karen,

>>Whether it is possible to Pick that file on Specific Time of a Day?

You need to specify the poll interval in the file adapter. File adapter does not accept specific time of the day, but still you can make it run for specific time of the day. Say you want your file adapter to pick the file at 3 PM every day then you can specify the poll interval as 24 hrs(specify in seconds) in the file adapter and activate your file adapter at 3 PM exactly. So the first run of your file adapter will be on 3 PM on the day you have activated. The next poll will be on next day 3 PM since you have specified the poll interval as 24 hours.

>>Could you please explain me more on how could I handle that 2000 records that are coming from file in the Message Mapping? So you want to say that there is no need of a BPM at all? We are not Having MULTIPLE IDOCS

Before you decide on IDoc or proxy approach check if there is any standard idoc scenario for handling the employee records. Also check if a single idoc can handle all 2000 employee records or you need to create a separtae idoc for each employee record ans send in a package.

If all the records can be handled in single idoc then you can do this scenario without using the BPM. But if you have to create a separate idoc for ecah employee record then in SP12 you need to go for BPM.

In case there is no standard idoc scenario defined for handling your employee records then check if there is any standard BAPI which can handle the employee records.

If neither of them exists(IDoc/BAPI) then you can consider using proxies , since you need to develop all the required functinality on sap r/3 to take care of incoming employee records...

Regards

Anand

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Anand

I will make my first question more elaborate.

Whether it is possible to Pick that file on Specific Time of a Day? This is going to be Recurring Process. i.e let us say I want to run this process Every SECOND FRIDAY and if this day is a Holiday then run on the Previous Working Day? (With File Adapter I think we cannot do that and probably we need to do this in an ABAP program and need to initate the XI File Adapter)

I am not clear with the Below Explanation

-

>>>Before you decide on IDoc or proxy approach check if there is any standard idoc scenario for handling the employee records. Also check if a single idoc can handle all 2000 employee records or you need to create a separtae idoc for each employee record ans send in a package.

What is a Standard Idoc Scenario you are mentioning above. With my Limited SAP Knowledge what I have Understood was, when you send the File Contents(Employee Details) to the R/3 thru ALE-IDOC methodology, firstly all these Records will be shipped to SAP Box and then a corresponding Function Module is going to post these records in an appropriate underlying table, based on the Process Code (/nWE20) specified for a Particular Record.

Please correct me if my Understanding is not Correct.

Thanks for your Help.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Anand, Sameer has answered my First Question.

Q: How do I configure a File Adapter sender channel to poll a directory at a specific time of day?

A: This is currently not possible. However, we are evaluating whether we can provide a channel scheduling functionality in a future release.

Former Member
0 Kudos

karen,

It is not possible to pick a file on Specific Time of a Day. But if it is periodic, I mean if there is fixed interval between two file picks(say 24 hrs) then you can set the poll interval as 24 hrs and scenario will work.

But in your scenario(Every SECOND FRIDAY and if this day is a Holiday then run on the Previous Working Day?) it is not possible since there is no fixed interval which can be set. Hence you need to go for some workaround like shell script...

>>What is a Standard Idoc Scenario you are mentioning above. With my Limited SAP Knowledge what I have Understood was, when you send the File Contents(Employee Details) to the R/3 thru ALE-IDOC methodology, firstly all these Records will be shipped to SAP Box and then a corresponding Function Module is going to post these records in an appropriate underlying table, based on the Process Code (/nWE20) specified for a Particular Record.

Standard scenario means idoc scenario which has standard FM/program to process/generate the incoming/outbound idoc. From the explanation you have given it appears that you have standard FM to post employee records. Hence you can go ahead with the File to IDoc scenario.

Regards

Anand

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Anand.

When I am sending 2000 employee records from a File to XI how I am going to carry out this Exercise. Krishnamoorthy mentioned that this can be acheivable in Message Mapping, could you explain that part. Thanks a lot.

Krishnamoorthy wrote

If you have one input file and having 2000 Records and u need to post the 2000 Idocs then no need of any extra settings required. You can do this in Mapping. There is no need of Multiline Container in XI for this scenario.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello

Is ur R/3 system on WebAS 6.4 SP12? If ur planning to use proxies then I guess u should go for server side ABAP proxy programming in which u will have to expose some web service on R/3 side that can be accessed by the server proxy on XI server.

Otherwise if u have builtin IDOC structure then better use the same.Refer to Inbound IDoc processing documentation for Inbound processing on IDocs.u will have to write a Function Module to process incoming IDocs.

Regards

Rajeev