cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions after configuring change request managment

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I configured CHARM through solution manager, i got some further questions...

1. I could able to create request from solution manager for a development satellite system through scheduler and also release the transport request from scheduler (but only after releasing sub request, is that the way it will work normally ?)

2. Also from scheduler it is just creating a request, but to assign objects users need to login to development system asusual is it ?

3. I could able to import the request onto Quality System (as per route config)

4. I could able to see the import history, queue, log of satellite systems from scheduler

Questions:

1. The request i am creating are going under Maintenance Cycle and i think i cannot create another one until this is closed, is that correct ?

2. If i need to use everything under Maintenance Cycle, and if today i released all the requests under that maintenance cycle and schedule to import all those to Q system tomorrow , i can still go ahead and create some more requests under that cycle even today, what is the exact use of Cycle ? is it only for releasing all at once and importing all at once ?

3. I kept my queue status as Development with release, what is exactly the use of Development without release ?

4. How to avoid users from creating request directly from satellite dev system while CHARM is activated in solman, is it only through authorization or any other way ?

5. Also out of 10 requests created and assigned to a cycle, how can i release couple of them as urgent ?

6. Also the way it worked for me is Create in Dev client , release it which will go to Quality Client, how to make it to go to other dev client while it is released or to multiple Q system if required ? If i do those changes in transport route it is complaining as Consolidation client not found sort of error...

Apart from the above things is there any good guide or steps to explain what are the things can be done or should be done if we need to use CHARM along with Transport Management in our place. Also we are already gone live.

Thanks,

Murali.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, you have to uncheck "Attribute assigned externally" that should do the trick.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ruben,

Thanks for the reply again. But unfortunately that also did not worked. When i try to create a transport req of type say customizing in dev system, it is not showing anything under PROJECT column, it is showing the target group by default anyhow, so if i select the maintenance project created by solution manager, it is not allowing to create a request as expected, but if i did not select anything for project it is allowing me to create request.

Basically i would expect something like if i try to create a request it should automatically show the project column field with Maintenance Projectname.

Thanks,

Murali.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey,

Any more suggestion by any one ?

Thanks,

Murali.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is not enough to have checked "Value Obligarory" for the SAP_CTS_PROJECT attribute in transaction SE03 you have to double click on the attribute then in the frame "Attribute Required for Requests" specified for which clients the Project Assigment will be mandatory.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ruben,

In our development system(which is the domain controller), following are the options showing:

Attribute SAP_CTS_PROJECT

Short Text Project in Change and Transport System

Attribute value obligatory

Attribute assigned externally

Attribute can only be assigned once for each request

(All the 3 attribute has been checked)

Under Default for ALL Clients Mandatory

Client-Specific Setting 330 Required is Checked

But still as i said earlier it is allowing to create request directly in development system if no maintenance project is selected.

Thanks,

Murali.

Former Member
0 Kudos

4) The normal steps (from ChaRM point of view) for creating a maintenance project are:

a) Create a solman maintenance project.

b) Associate a Logical Component which represents the actual landscape object of ChaRM control.

c) Create an IMG project on the DEV system specified in the Logical Component.

d) Activate ChaRM for that particular project.

e) Create a Maintenance Cycle (Task List). When you create the Task List ChaRM goes to the IMG project in the DEV system and creates a CTS Project for the specific DEV client so when you create Transport Requests from the Task List of the Maintenance Project or from a change document that has been associated to the Maintenance Cycle automaticly these TRs are associated to the created CTS Project in the DEV system. The CTS Projects are basically the link between the IMG Project and the TMS, both IMG and CTS Projects exists since the dawn of time. One IMG can have several active CTS Projects one and only one for each client of the DEV system. The CTS Projects have a functionality call CTS Status Switches the purpose of the switches is to control when a Transport Request that has been associated to the CTS Project can be Created, Released and Imported to QA and PRD systems. When you create a Maintenance Cycle ChaRM closes the CTS Switches of the relant CTS Project, so activities as Create, Release and Import Transport Requests are controlled from solman and not directly in the satellite system. Basically open the CTS Switches is like disable ChaRM.

6) If you want to send an exported Transport Request to the buffer of several QA systems at Transport Route level you have to define a Transport Target Group between the DEV system and the QA systems, but the Logical Component that you assigned to the Maintenance Project must include all the QA systems in order to be able to perform imports in each QA system from the Task List.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for the detailed reply.

Questions:

It looks like whatever you mentioned for point 4 seems to be already there for my system done automatically, except one thing is i could not validate the point

d) Activate ChaRM for that particular project

How to confirm that ?

Regarding reply for point 6.. I understood that i need to create transport target group with multiple Q systems and also in the logical system i need to put all Q systems (i will try this) but if i want something like if i have multiple clients on the dev system , if i release from one dev client it has togo for Q system or systems but at the same time it should go to the import queue of dev system for all dev clients , is it possible ?

Thanks,

Murali.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Also if you dont mind can you give us any link or doc explaining the procedure for Urgent Corrections Procedure...

Also assuming that we are using CHARM and due to some reason for some period of time we want to deactivate the CHARM in satellite system and continue to use regular TMS process, is there any easy way for this and also is there any disadvantages ?

Thanks

Murali.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ruben,

One more thing i tried:

Logged onto dev system(satellite) directly and when i try to create a transport req from se09 (workbench), the project column is empty, if i dont select anything it is allowing to create request. If i select the Maintenance project created in solution manager system and activated, it is giving error like cannot create request directly in satellite system.

How to avoid creating directly even if no project is selected...

Thanks,

Murali.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Murali,

As Ruben told you you can avoid creation of transport requests by activating the project mandatory attribute for transport request. As a matter of fact, since TR creation for projects are managed through project status switches, you will be able to avoid TR creation outside of ChaRM.

To do that : go in transaction SE03. Under administration go to Display/Change request attribute and set SAP_CTS_PROJECT Project in Change and Transport System attribute to Value Obligatory.

regards,

Stéphane.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stephane,

The suggestion given by you is already there in our development system, but still it is allowing to create request directly in dev system if you dont select the maintenance project created in solution manager.

Thanks,

Murali.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Murali,

This means that you have open CTS project that aren't link to SolMan project, which must not happen when you implement ChaRM because this becomes a weakness for project consistency.

Another reason is possible : in that case you can add transport request to projects that have correctly been created with ChaRM but whose CTS project status switches are not consistently been set. To make sure of that go in transaction /TMWFLOW/PROJ and for each project you've created make sure that all the switches are set to NO. This switches allows you to temporarily deactivate ChaRM to be able to face an exceptional situation.

Hope it'll help.

Regards,

Stéphane.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stéphane,

I understood it is a weekness but i want to find out what is missed which is causing this ?

Anyhow i went to /TMWFLOW/PROJ where the following is what showing:

Devclient

X on Requests cannot be created

X on Requests cannot be released

X on No Project Piece List

X on No Project Intersections

Quality

Green Check on Requests can be imported

And overall CTS Status switch tab is YELLOW

Is it ok or anything wrong ?

Thanks,

Murali.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Closing this as this is completed long back

Former Member
0 Kudos

Answers:

1) You can create as many transport request as you need from the Task List of the Maintenance Cycle.

2) Using the Cycle you don't to worry about the sequence of transport requests at import time.

3) You use the status Development without release to keep the project in a pure "development" state so release is not allow.

4) By default when you create a Maintenance cycle CHARM closes the so called "CTS Switches" of the IMG project in the satellite system so is not allowed to create a transport request in the satellite system and associate it to that IMG project, of course this is only valid if you set "Project Assigment Mandatory" in the DEV Sat system.

5) When you execute the task "Release transport request" the system ask you to select which ones you want to release so you can leave the other ones behind, but for this "Urgent" issues you should use the Urgent Correction document.

6) For taking the requests to several QA or Dev system you have to defined Transport Target Groups at Transport Routes level.

I hope this could help you.

BR

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi BR,

Thanks a lot for your explanations. I will keep this forum open to further question after trying your suggestions.

Thanks

Murali.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi BR,

Can you give more details on 4,5,6 especially on 4th and 6th...

Thanks,

Murali.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hopkins,

Your answers helped in understand ChaRM more in detail. Thanks

- Hari

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can someone reply for my questions....

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Check what type of correction you are using.

If you use urgent correction you can complete the cycle as many as you want, but this is not same in normal correction.

Regards

Ramesh F Kolur

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ramesh,

I am not quite getting what you are trying to explain, can you be detail ?

Thanks,

Murali.