cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Points ? encouragement

Former Member
0 Kudos

dear friends,

I guess many of us need an encouragement to further in answering queries and SDN promotes the concept of points to do that. And while just posting this question i see a check box "Mark this thread as a question - this encourages people to answer for points and helps you track answers".

Though each and everytime we dont answer only for the sake of points as we in the process learn a lot, but i was just wondering what can be done to recognize the efforts made to answer questions when you dont get any points at all. Can something be done if the answers really deserve a mention ?

In this am barring perhaps lesser efforts like finding a link or posting some library info for more clarity. Please correct me if am wrong.

Requesting your valuable opinions.

Best Regards,

Sadhu Kishore

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

marilyn_pratt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Acknowledgment, validation, reputation are based on the human response and subjective one, to how valuable someone finds information, help, response. Reputations are hard and long to build (although very easy to lose and spoil, unfortunately). We all of us have intuitions about those people who genuinely listen as opposed to just pretending to do so, or genuinely care about helping others rather than going through the motions, but gathering a broader consensus around those people and distinguishing them often takes time.

I noticed that [Wenceslaus|/people/wenceslaus.gnana/blog/2008/03/26/what146s-thy-color-150-mozilla-firefox-plugin] even tried to provide a tool to track those folks who "went the extra mile" to close questions and tried to highlight their good reputation by creating a firefox extension. That's a great techie approach to the analysis. Some of the things we do are more manual and time consuming.

I would say that as we all work (and work hard) to surface and highlight quality content, we can help to do that by creating compendiums of things we found most valuable. You know how that works in other environments. People have blogrolls, they have their favorite links, they have their favorite community members. This kind of collateral can be kept at the level of your profile in the wiki and they can also be maintained at the level of topics on the wiki as well. Many use external tools to do this: Digg, Delicious, Twitter, business cards.

If I think someone is knowledgeable, I might look to that person to see who he or she is reading, or what their opinions are. I like to look at "recommendations" when I go to buy a book online, but I also like to form and keep my own opinions. Whether someone else reads them or finds them valuable....well, that's based on track record, reputation, and sometimes a great deal of time.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Marilyn,

your reply has really helped me discover what other great things are happening around to recognise some ones effort.

I really liked [Wenceslaus|/people/wenceslaus.gnana/blog/2008/03/26/what146s-thy-color-150-mozilla-firefox-plugin] tool which identifies someones interest in closing the threads. Thats an effort made without not for the sake of any points which is i think greatest way of contributing.

I guess now i will start preparing compendiums and maintaining collaterals, this really shows how a contributor is recognised and is much above points. Infact to share a small exp of mine, i receive mails from many people looking for suggestions regarding SAP career making / planning / selection and technical clarifications. I get a mail saying they found my id in SDN. It makes me happy to answer their queries to my possible extent. This is i think yet another way how we are recognized in the forums.

Thanks a lot Marilyn once again for your valuable reply. I will keep this thread open to see some more opionions to find how the experience of contributing can be made even more enriching.

Best Regards

Sadhu Kishore

marilyn_pratt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks for starting this thread, especially if it encourages people to focus on the quality of content. It also honors [Wenceslaus|/people/wenceslaus.gnana/blog/2008/03/26/what146s-thy-color-150-mozilla-firefox-plugin]' efforts which is a good way of acknowledging his community commitment. For me, one of the keys to enriching the contribution experience is forever always to be in learn mode as well. A few days ago I was reading a blog comment from an outstanding community evangelist [Luis Suarez|http://www.elsua.net/] (Luis is an community leader for IBM). Something for me to learn from. He said:

> "One of the things that makes it really worth while for me to engage with all of these folks and whoever else whom I share a common passion with is the fact that you bring in a new round of fresh air with their own unique experiences, talent, passion, knowledge and expertise, to in the end make a huge difference of a conversation.

>

> That is the whole point, to me, from all of this social media and why, despite having done it for the last 5 years, it still keeps me busy and still love it. It is through this social computing stuff that I get to meet, share, discuss and participate in conversations with an incredible amount of great talent. Talent that otherwise I would have missed all along."

Answers (0)